Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to my first HPDE in years today via SCCA's Track Night in America series. Did the work/run; worked most sessions at Pit Out and ran 1 session with the intermediate group. Was in my 1992 wanna-be CP auto-x car but on 275/40-17 Riken Raptors (lol) on 17*9s. They worked great! Super predictable, no cupping, etc., very squishy and predictable. I corded one of my big slicks Sunday at an auto-x, otherwise, I might have run the 16*12s with the big HoHos on them. >:) Went about 85-90%, lifting early, not pushing it too hard, etc.

Car weighs 2890 in auto-x trim, maybe makes 290 rwhp. Track elevation is around 1,100 ft. iirc. Wasn't trying to set any track records but best lap appears to have been 2:04.5. Car in front of me is some sort of sticker-powered CAM-C Camaro. I was lifting all over the place so as to not fill his mirror and freak him out, his lines were Charles Barkley turrble. Track is all 3rd for me except for one tight uphill S which I took in 2nd and the front straight, on which I go to 4th. Oddly, car started to get hot so I experimented and turned the fan on, worked like a charm. I guess that means my shrouding sucks.

I was going to have TunerView video with the overlay but my ####### phone decided to update right before my run group and then bricked itself. Super pissed off at my carrier right now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ohlfw09q0u4tim/Palmer 6-23-16.avi?dl=0

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, would have been more fun on slicks! Was definitely worth it; it's only 1.25 hours away from me.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the past year, I have been auto-x'ing on some big Hoosier bias ply slicks on my 16*12 wheels. I flat-spotted one on Sunday. :( Unfortunately, the tires on my 18*10s, some Continental GT-R slicks, were corded last year and I haven't gotten around to replacing them yet.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I was looking at some of those type of tires and they are pricey to say the least. One tire was around $480 or something like that. I don't remember which one but I seem to recall a Pirrelli maybe? For that money, I hope they work great. ;)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trick is not to pay that kind of money. Most of my Hoosiers came with the 16*12s when I bought them last year. However, I eventually need a new pair of fronts so I purchased two 23.5x11.5-16s from Hoosier on clearance for $403 shipped.

As far as the Continental GT-Rs, I purchased 4 from What We Sell - GT Racing Tires / GT Track Days two years ago for $591.55 composed of tires @ $460.00 + shipping @ $114.32 and handling of $17.23. One of them showed up with a puncture they missed during inspection; no biggie, they rushed out a replacement and let me keep the punctured tire as a spare. I'd use these guys again. I need to add up how many runs I made on these tires before I finally corded three of them last summer, but it was probably a lot. Would definitely do it again although they have since recommend I switch to the Pirellis as they heat up faster and are stickier, and thus better for auto-x (and the GT-Rs were awesome, durometered just like an A6 but lasted like an R6).

You can find used slicks from other sources as well, just need to hunt around. Sometimes you can find some on Craigslist, racingjunk.com, ebay, etc.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
That definitely sounds like the way to do it. I am not at the point where I need sticky tires like that. I have several track days scheduled, once I get faster around the track, I will consider them. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely better to learn on street tires. I didn't know that TNiA allowed R-comps, I couldn't find anything about it in their rules and regulations. I was surprised by how many cars were on them at Palmer on Thursday. I'll probably be on my streets again next Thursday at Thompson but, after that, I plan to be on R-comps. I enjoyed being in Intermediate, fewer passing zones, fewer crazy fast cars. However, on R comps and being more aggressive, I may need to move to Advanced.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Nice, there were fewer passing zones in intermediate? I would have thought there would have been more. I know at Blackhawk Farms unless you are in Pro, you can only pass on the two straights.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fewer than in Advanced, yes. In advanced, you can pass anywhere with a point by. In Intermediate, there were 3 passing zones, again only with a point by.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just registered for the TNiA on the 28th. Doing the $35 work/run again. This time, I will be on the Michelin slicks (set at proper pressures).

Interesting discount discovery: the once-per-year Koni $25 discount code (KONITNiA#2016) works with the $35 work/run option. So I just paid $10 for the session. Thank you, Koni!

Edit: Just found another code that also works for a $25 discount: "ShareTheSpeed".

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just registered for the TNiA on the 28th. Doing the $35 work/run again. This time, I will be on the Michelin slicks (set at proper pressures).

Interesting discount discovery: the once-per-year Koni $25 discount code (KONITNiA#2016) works with the $35 work/run option. So I just paid $10 for the session. Thank you, Koni!

DAMNIT! my motor is being pulled apart as we speak, i most likely wont be able to make the 24th, ugh and thats so cheap!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts