Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 331 cubic inch stroker making ~400 hp/400 ft lb at the wheels. Race weight is 2500 lbs with fuel and driver. Transmission is a synchronized T5 with GForce gears and shafts with following gear ratios:

1st:2.94, 2nd:1.94, 3rd:1.33, 4th:1.0, 5th:0.80

The differential ratio is 3.36.

Tires are 23.5 x 10.5 - 15 Bias ply slicks (avon).

I use the car for track days only (no street driving).

Currently, the car has Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Centerforce dual friction disc, and King Cobra pressure plate.

Down shifting this thing is less than fun especially going down from 5th to 3rd at the end of a long straight (Daytona or Sebring). I find myself taking the car out of 5th into neutral, releasing the clutch, then reengaging the clutch to get into the lower gear cleanly.

The current pressure plate has been in the car for a long time (~7 years), but for most of that the car was used for autocross so it didn't matter. I have everything apart at the moment and want to get a better pressure plate / clutch. I would prefer a lighter pressure plate than the King Cobra, but most importantly I want something that works better on the track.

I was considering the Centerforce LMC pressure plate, but I am open to suggestions. I want a better clutch set-up, but I also don't want to break the bank.

Thanks.

·
Registered
788 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have the McLeod super street pro in 1 car and the McLeod street extreme in another car. Both are fantastic clutches! Pedal pressure is light and holding power is phenomenal

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I ended up with a McCleod Street Extreme clutch and pressure plate. I'm installing it behind my new engine and taking the car to the chassis synopsis for break-in and tuning.

The car is track only. The only tires I have are racing slicks, so I can't break the clutch in on the street. How do you guys break in the clutch on your race cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts