Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know the voltage for the tps with the motor off, key on should be between .93 and .99.

since my motor swap, ive been having some stalling problems along with some surging problems. i checked my tps and found the voltage was at 1.06.

If the voltage is too high like mine was, what would this cause the car to run like. Rich? Lean? would it make it surge ? stall?

i know the proper voltage range now, but im curious to know how 1.06 would be so drastically different than say .98??

thanks for the info!:confused:

·
Registered
619 Posts
The problem is that when your 1/2 throttle, the computer thinks that your at 3/4 throttle when the voltage is above .99 volts. Take a drill and open the holes up on both sides and set the voltage.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey 63T, are you saying that above 1.0 volts, the computer thinks you are at part throttle? what does it think at idle if it is above 1.0? would this create a rich condition?

thanks

·
Registered
619 Posts
Basically its thiking that your applying throttle when your not. Hence it will try to richen up the mixture. It should double check through the O2 sensors, but when actually applying throttle, its still going to run rich. Drill the holes out, make sure your timing is set since this affects your idle and set the idle the way you want it, set the voltage and drive off happy.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Here's the REAL DEAL. On an '86-93, when the computer sees voltage over 0.976562 volts (call it 0.98), it changes the fuel delivery slightly and this stupid old myth of setting the TPS to 0.98-0.99 has caused far too many headaches to continue. You should NOT set the idle TPS over 0.97, matter of fact I like to keep it between 0.90 and 0.95. The computer will continue to change delivery according to TPS voltage until it hits 2.71v, which it considers WOT (wide open throttle). And if you think about it changing the idle voltage a couple tenths here and there isn't going to make a big difference in how soon it calls up WOT but it does make a huge difference at idle if you get it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
27,649 Posts
Stick some safety pins through the green and black wires so you don't tear up the insulation too bad. Use your red lead on the green wire and your black lead on the black wire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just about to set my TPS! Thanks for the info, you guys are great! I wish all you guys were my neighbors!!!!:D
Gracias!
Johnny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts