Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took advantage of an offer I couldn't resist. $200 for 4 255/40-17 Toyo R88's with more than half their tread left, but they've been sittting dismounted and covered in an Arizona garage for 1.5 years. How much freshness/performance do you think they've lost?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Probably won't be noticeable degradation being kept out of the light in a dry climate. The date code would be better information than when the previous owner stored them.

Here is an interesting read on tire degradation that says exposure to air is the culprit. It's kind of opposite from most reads where it says mileage and load has less effect than age.
http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-4187033/The-invisible-danger-of-aging.html

·
Registered
780 Posts
Probably won't be noticeable degradation being kept out of the light in a dry climate. The date code would be better information than when the previous owner stored them.
Agreed. For the price, depending on the date code, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. Are they just for track days?

Here is an interesting read on tire degradation that says exposure to air is the culprit.
I find some of this information hard to believe. Are they saying an unmounted tire, in a climate controlled environment, will break down at the same rate as a tire exposed to the daily elements? And that study is from when, 2005? IDK, I'm not buying it... But then again, here's another good reason to replace your tires every year or so,...aside from the fact that they seem to wear out in less than 10k miles.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a moot point for me, unfortunately, because the dude listed the wrong tires. He had 18's for sale, not 17's :rolleyes:

But it's good conversation and good tech, thanks. Good stuff to know.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hoosier is closing out on a lot of different tires including Koni and Continental Series tires. Not as good of a price but they are new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts