Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
off the subject but does anyone use a tow dolly to transport their car to the track?

·
Registered
474 Posts
tow dolly

I used a tow dolly to bring my car to the track today.It's a bit of a ride so if i break it im kinda screwed.thats why i dont drive it there. lol. Dolly works great,only downside is i need two boards to drive on, and then i can drive onto the dolly ramps or the front bumper wont clear. I have stock front springs in the front too.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
if you have an auto and you drag the tires your supposed to remove the DS... I would just back onto the trailer.

I am considering getting a dolly myself

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies.I just used my buddies car hauler and it was great!Problem is I cant afford one and dont have the room to store,thats why im leaning towards a dolly.Some people say its illegal in some states to dolly a car?Anyone else hear of this?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
i have heard it is illegal in NJ to use a car dolly but Im not 100% sure on it

·
Registered
229 Posts
It is also illegal to pump your own gas in Jersey, isn't it?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so..stick car shaft stays in,auto shaft comes out?Thanks

·
Registered
922 Posts
It is also illegal to pump your own gas in Jersey, isn't it?
yah i was there on the turnpike got off at a plaza and i started to fill up gas in my truck, and guy ran up said sir i have it you could you get back in the car i was thinking wtf

i don't understand why you can't fill up your own gas

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
You're supposed to remove the driveshaft on rear wheel drive cars while using a tow dolly, simply because the angle your vehicle is at all of the fluid in the transmission is in the rear of the tranny, with the driveshaft and your transmission is spinning. No lubricant and gears spinning equals ??? (in theory that's why you're supposed to remove it). Here's the catch once you remove the driveshaft all the damn fluid is going to leak out anyways........ I personally haven't seen any damage with them while the driveshaft was left in. Seems like you guys leave them in as well.

Just make sure there's fluid in the rear end, I had an employee that damaged a brand new Moser rear end using a tow dolly, he installed it in his car, didn't add fluid and over the course of 13 miles the rear end was in pieces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts