Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this diff have the preload or not? I've read comments where the t2r for the 8.8 does then another comment where only the 9" rear t2r has preload and the 8.8 has the "option"???

Also, can anyone recommend a good vendor for this differential?

Thank you

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have heard three stories: that they do, that they don't, and that the early ones did and now the new ones do not. Whether it has preload or not, the main difference between it and the T2 is the torque bias. When I finish installing mine I will see if it does have preload.

As far as vendors try either Reider Racing or On Track Performance . I bought mine from Reider and was extremely pleased. They sent it FedEx and it came in 2-3 days and shipping was less than $10. I payed less than $600, but both the aforementioned vendors are similar in price. Forget about Jegs or Summitt, they are selling the T2 at nearly $100 more than it can be found elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
I had my diff cover off recently and didn't see any signs of springs in the Torsen T-2R I've got. I pulled the axles and the plates you see in the middle of the picture). Not sure where else they would be hiding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what's going on???

This is taken straight from Torsen's website.

"The TORSEN T2-R takes the T-2's performance to the next level. By combining the patented Equvex gearing from the Torsen T-2 with a coil spring pre-load and/or friction enhancing plates, the Torsen T-2R can remain locked, providing torque to both wheels, under low torque inputs. The addition of the friction plates allows the Torque Bias Ratio (TBR) to be tailored to differential design needs. These features allow improved mobility and traction under extreme conditions. In addition, it is compatible with electronic traction control, providing the ultimate in traction management systems."

·
Registered
479 Posts
What I wrote earlier today, taken from the thread two down on this forum:
http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=735788
Just got off the phone with the tech line @ Torsen and the T2R is NOT preloaded for the 8.8 application.
The only 8.8 application that is preloaded is in the factory installed Ranger FX4 - 31 spline diff.
None of the aftermarket T2R units you would purchase through a supplier would be preloaded.
He also specified that some of the earlier T2R diffs were preloaded, but all current T2R applications are not preloaded.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I sent them an e-mail and got this response.

"The Torsen unit in the Ranger is a pre-loaded T-2 (the unit has visible
internal springs). The 8.8" differentials we offer through our distributors
are either a standard T-2 or a high bias T-2. The high bias T-2 has
friction plates. The high bias 8.8" does not have springs so there is no
pre-load.

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen!"

Well I guess its time for 31 spline axles and a trip to the local Ford dealer?

Well the pre-loaded ranger is just a normal bias t2 per e-mail contact.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have the 28 spline T2R. I don't think the 31 spline axles would be necessary. Even with the Hoosiers I could never get enough traction off the line to break an axle. I just thought of something else, is there an ESP allowance for stronger axles? I don't think any solid axle sn95 came with 31 spline axles either. BTW I am very impressed with Reider's gear install kit and I also picked up some of their ring gear bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts