Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How good Are the wild rides battle kits. Thinking about installing them and welding the factory boxes up solid. This is on a 92 coupe ex-4cy car, underside is very solid. 750hp turbo car, solid double adjustable upper control arms, semi solid lowers, plan on running drag radials. I'm just leary of welding the factory boxes up and having trouble down the road, then having a bigger mess to straighten out. Any insight on this would be appreciated, I'm wanting to get something done with them this week.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I put a set of battle boxes (upper sand lowers) in my hatch last year, install was pretty smooth. Uppers were sort of a pain lining up the drill and holes without Good help. I'd buy them again on my next fox definitely

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
I have them on my car. As stated, pretty straight forward install.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should have my wild rides battle box kit Friday. i hope wild rides uses good steel, my last project used some 1/8" plate steel, turned out it was poor quality, made welding difficult. I eventually cut the plates out an found better steel.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Anything by Wild Rides is pretty good stuff. Might have to step bend or adjust a few things. I also carried the upper bolt bushings thru the floor to the uppers plate inside of the box before welding with bushing stock. There are some things I have added over top of their stuff to stiffen thing up a little more. Chassis Engineering lower torque box reinforcement plates will really add some additional strength to the lowers. I also made doubler plates to go the full width of the cross member. Kind of a poor mans S Box. Only reason for that is its a bracket stick car that makes plenty of runs on a good weekend.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything by Wild Rides is pretty good stuff. Might have to step bend or adjust a few things. I also carried the upper bolt bushings thru the floor to the uppers plate inside of the box before welding with bushing stock. There are some things I have added over top of their stuff to stiffen thing up a little more. Chassis Engineering lower torque box reinforcement plates will really add some additional strength to the lowers. I also made doubler plates to go the full width of the cross member. Kind of a poor mans S Box. Only reason for that is its a bracket stick car that makes plenty of runs on a good weekend.
Pictures? I've been plotting in my head on how to build a "poor man's S box"

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you PM me your cell # I can send a few pics to you when I am down under there tonight. Everything is painted chassis black, so it might not turn out very good, but I will try to give the best. I also use a Chassis Engineering sub frame connectors that actually tie into the lower boxes. Setup has literally held up to a 1000 plus stick shift launches.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
i use wild rides for a lot of things since he is local too me and never had a problem

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
Dropped right in my car. I had to put it in because even with re-enforced stock boxes my floor pan was cracking.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished my battle box install tonight, and got all the weak links welded up. It's not the easiest job to do solo. Even though it's all done I still wish I would have done the S-box.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Finished my battle box install tonight, and got all the weak links welded up. It's not the easiest job to do solo. Even though it's all done I still wish I would have done the S-box.
I think that is a comment feeling. I got mine in and after laying under the car studying the spot welds I figured I should have done the S box also instead.

Did mine solo also. but I cheated, I used longer bolts which made it way easier.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, that's kinda funny, I used longer bolts too, and tape to hold them in place while I started the nuts. Nothing is cheating when your doing a two man job by yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts