Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a torque arm/pan hard bar setup? I can only find Maximum Motorsports for aftermarket support. Can one from a certain brand X car be adapted? Is it even worth the effort over a good upper/lower arm setup?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The only down side is the weight penalty, but the torque arm is right in the belly of the car and the panhard bar is at the very back. The car will have a ton more grip in the back and the "snap oversteer" that happens when the rear tires loose traction in a turn will disappear. The torque arm will improve straight line acceleration and believe it or not, it helps a lot with braking. After doing both you will need to do something with the front suspension to balance the car out again.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
The TA/PHB combo was the best mod I've done to my car yet. no squat, no lift, just go. No fishtailing when you graba a gear and accidentallly roast em. Solid predictable rear end that let's you drive it hard with confidence.

JW33 has the right of it too....you will have to play with the front end some and maybe the rear bar too. WORTH IT :) after 3 foxes and 3 98's I can't believe it's a mustang sometimes.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm already using a Granatelli Motorsports front kmember/coilover kit. I don't mind adding weight to the back and removing some from the front. So, Maximum Motorsports is the only brand out there? Did anyone use a modified camaro arm?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kbernal, I bought the GMS kmember because it had an extra brace in it that others didn't. The cost was also a factor, I bought the A arms and coil overs with the K member, and got a good price. It seems to be built very well. Other than a test fit, which was good, I haven't had the chance to use it because I'm still redoing the rest of the car.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
Kbernal, I bought the GMS kmember because it had an extra brace in it that others didn't.
The Maximum Motorsports K-member also includes that brace. Not coincidentally, Maximum Motorsports was the source unit that Granatelli shamelessly ripped right off and sells for cheaper since hey, they didn't have to pay for an engineer to actually design the thing.

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
It is impossible to install a GM TA on a Ford 8.8" differential. The GM TA attaches to bosses cast into the GM differential housing. These are completely missing from the Ford 8.8". Also the Camaro has a transmission tailshaft housing designed to withstand the TA loads, so the TA mounts to it. On a Mustang the TA must be mounted to a TA crossmember that mounts to the subframe connectors.

The complete MM TA installation adds a total of about 25lbs to the car. You remove 25lbs of parts when installing the TA and the TA+PHB combination weighs about 50lbs total.

Kbernal,

I'm not really sure how to say this, or even if I should. Your signature indicates that you think it is good to keep the economy of this country operating well for the good of the people here, but by your comments about possibly buying a GMS k-member, you seem to think that supporting thieves in this country is ok. I really think there is a contradiction in your thought process.

·
Super Moderator
27,651 Posts
=
Kbernal,

I'm not really sure how to say this, or even if I should. Your signature indicates that you think it is good to keep the economy of this country operating well for the good of the people here, but by your comments about possibly buying a GMS k-member, you seem to think that supporting thieves in this country is ok. I really think there is a contradiction in your thought process.
That's the classiest PWNAGE I think I've ever seen.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Lol I got owned!

I don't know anything about that company or there actions, I was simply asking a question.
So if they copied MM, does the GMS k-member also move the front tires forward 1"?

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
Kbernal,

I apologize for jumping the gun. I assumed that you knew about the business practices of GMS.

For some good bathroom reading, I suggest you read this:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=679308&highlight=chuck+schwynoch

Pay particular attention to JR's posts and post #95 and #98. After this thread occurred, JR sent a pair of the MM LCAs out to have them counterfeited. Here is what GMS is now selling as theirs:

http://www.andysautosport.com/ford/1999_2004_mustang/suspension/control_arms/granatelli_motorsports/grnt00226528.html

Here is a photo of the MM LCAs for comparison:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/images/rear_susp/MMRLCA-2.jpg

GMS even copied the color of the anodizing on the weight jacker bolts. Post #98 has the image of the LCA that GMS had been selling for years, straight out of their catalog. Right up until just after the thread linked above. JR likes to rewrite history, so he had the MM LCAs counterfeited to make people think we copied him!

Here is a photo of the GMS k-member:

http://www.mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog2/images/suspension/gm-tk7995_lg.jpg

Here is a photo of the MM k-member:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/attachments/v6-tech/1736d1049822277-maximum-motorsports-k-member-99-3-8l-v6-mustangs-kmember.jpg

The above is one of the very first images we released of our k-member. Clearly GMS copied as many aspects of the photo as possible to make potential customers think that they were the same product. To this day we get calls from GMS customers asking for tech support with their GMS k-members! When we tell them that the GMS k-member is not an MM k-member, some of them don't believe us because they have never seen them side by side.

Here is a link to an impartial 3rd party comparison of the two k-members:

http://vtecf.tw/mustang/gms_vs_mm_k-member.html

In that comparison, they don't remove the powder coating from either k-member. We have a GMS k-member and FCAs here. Once you remove the powder coating, you can see the horrible weld quality (poor penetration, porosity), the ground welds (indicates a major problem with the weld, so the grinding is done to cover it up), the filler used to make the welds look nice, etc. BTW the GMS k-member and FCAs will not fit in any of our welding fixtures, because they are too warped to!

I can't say for sure what the geometry of the current GMS k-member is. All versions of the MM k-member move the wheels forward 3/4". We have three FCA models for a Fox. One moves the wheels REARWARD 3/4", one doesn't move them at all and and one moves them forward 3/4". So when you combine our different k-member and FCAs, you can get zero change in front wheel location, 3/4" forward or 1.5" forward.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_476_486&products_id=1376

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had no idea of this when I purchased these parts either. I feel like I owe the people of MM an apology if this is all true. On the other hand, that means the MM torque arm kit will work well with what I already have.
Jack, thanks for the heads up on the GM TA. I thought the newer body style had changed from the mid 80's version.
Do I need coil overs to run this setup?

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
Fox4V,

No apology necessary. It's certainly not your fault that GMS is ripping of MM product.

The GM TA design has gone back and forth on the front mount design. For some years they mount it to the transmission tail housing. For some years they mount it to a crossmember that welds to the floorpan. For all of the years, the GM TA connects to the differential using the same technique.

With the MM TA, you do not need to install coilovers. It will work fine with conventional springs, but you must run stiffer springs to make up for the increased rear traction. You also must install a Panhard Bar. Details of the requirements are available here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=tech_rear_susp_ta

1 - 18 of 18 Posts