Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys have a HD TA compared to the standard. Do I really need a HD TA? It looks like I can install the regular TA fine, but the HD requires too much cutting and welding.

My car put out about 425 rwtq right now.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind I found my answer. On that

Any of you guys that have a HD TA did you have to cut up your X or H pipe to extend it?

·
Registered
850 Posts
It's the HD mount that requires extending the H/X pipes, not the t/a itself. Not a big deal for any competent muffler shop. But if you change your H or X or tailpipes later, you will have to do it again to the new pieces. BTDT.

IIRC the HD mount makes transmission removal easier.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have the MM HD TA and I had to have my X-pipe modified to clear it. I'm hoping to be pushing around 500 rwtq (it's rated for 550 lb-ft engine torque) pretty soon with 4.10 gears but hopefully the tall 1st in the T-56 will help it survive.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have the MM HD TA also. The x-pipe was slightly modified. 2inches at most, was added. I didn't do the install....

·
Registered
850 Posts
jeostang said:
I think the TA cross member is the difference.

The HD mount and the HD t/a are both different and interchangeable. E.g., I have the standard t/a and the HD mount.

easterisland - The HD t/a is considerably different from the standard. It's probably easier to sell it and get a new HD one, but you can call or e-mail MM. Thay are usually very helpful.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine looks exactly like that picture (mine is fully boxed and brackets look just like those). The only thing which isn't boxed on mine and I can't tell from that pic is the bar which ties the subframes together. According to the invoice I received almost 2 years ago I received the standard torque arm...

·
Registered
225 Posts
easterisland said:
Mine looks exactly like that picture (mine is fully boxed and brackets look just like those). The only thing which isn't boxed on mine and I can't tell from that pic is the bar which ties the subframes together. According to the invoice I received almost 2 years ago I received the standard torque arm...
Hmmm...I seem to remember Jack Hidley from MM commenting on a previous post asking about the differences between the two...and going by his comments it seemed the one I have is a HD unit. I bought it used from Dugan Racing...so I'm not positive. The cross brace isn't technically boxed in but it is substantially gusseted. The whole thing feels and looks beefy as hell...maybe Glenn can comment since he actually has one on his car.

Not that this thing is going to be installed anytime soon...but I will be putting down quite a bit of torque and I have 4.10 gears so it is important that I have the correct part so I don't break it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't broke mine, but I only have 3.27 gears and low 11's in the quarter mile at nearly 127 mph. Which should put me at somewhere around 550 hp and probably more torque than that with the turbo and all.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
The HD TA comes with a front crossmember that has four sides (boxed). The standard TA comes with a front crossmember that only has three sides (no bottom). Also the front and rear plates on the HD crossmember are both flat. On the standard TA, one of the plates is flat and the other has an offset (jog) in it. The photo that svtruck posted is definitely of a TA with a standard crossmember. From the photo, I can't tell if the TA is an HD or standard. The easiest way to tell is by checking the diameter of the bolts that hold the TA legs to the front of the differential housing. The HD uses 1/2" bolts, the standard uses 3/8" bolts.

There are many small differences between the standard and HD TAs. It's not possible to turn one of them into the other.

·
Registered
850 Posts
svtruck said:
If you autox, and as Glenn will tell you, the cross brace bumps you out of ESP into CP because it ties the left and right sub frames together.

True, unless you use the Ford TSB subframe connectors. Then you are legal in ESP since TSB changes are considered factory parts (You can even run the TSB sfc's in F Stock on a '96-'98 convertible).

I did this after confirming with MM that those sfc's would be adequate for t/a mounting. No problems and still in ESP.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jack Hidley said:
The HD TA comes with a front crossmember that has four sides (boxed). The standard TA comes with a front crossmember that only has three sides (no bottom). Also the front and rear plates on the HD crossmember are both flat. On the standard TA, one of the plates is flat and the other has an offset (jog) in it. The photo that svtruck posted is definitely of a TA with a standard crossmember. From the photo, I can't tell if the TA is an HD or standard. The easiest way to tell is by checking the diameter of the bolts that hold the TA legs to the front of the differential housing. The HD uses 1/2" bolts, the standard uses 3/8" bolts.

There are many small differences between the standard and HD TAs. It's not possible to turn one of them into the other.
Well, I was mis-informed then by the seller I bought this from...this one is definitely a standard TA, the bolt holes are 3/8" and the cross brace is not fully boxed and has the jog in it. Disappointing, but I guess I'll putting this one up for sale...anyone interested?

I also deleted my previous post so squelch any confusion in the future...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts