Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unsure of the correct terminology with these things so I do apologize in advance*

Background on the situation:
My alternator began making noise, sounded like the bearing was seizing up so it needed to get replaced. I had a spare so I decided to swap it out. On my replacement alternator, the housing needed to get turned to line up the electrical connections correctly, so I removed the (3) 8mm bolts to do so. Well, I accidentally separated the pieces and now I can't put them back together because of (2) springs and pieces (lead-like) that sit and ride/make contact on the ?stator shaft?. After finally getting them placed where they originally go, they always pop out once I take my hand off them - the pieces(lead-like) are spring loaded to make contact on the copper shaft.

Am I screwed or is there a way to properly secure these pieces and make them stay until I get everything lined up and popped on.

Pics will come later today. Hope someone here knows what I'm talking about in mean time.

Thanks

·
Registered
601 Posts
There is a small hole in the brush holder so that you can use a paperclip to hold in the brushes. Push them in, one at a time and push the paperclip down and leave it in place until the alternator is bolted together and remove.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts