Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'e been doing some short half throttle runs shaking down my new turbo and have a question. I have the stock spring in the On3 gate which should be 7-8 ish psi; right? So far with these half throttle runs I've seen up to 15psi:eek:; I have the gate vacuum source connected to the side; is this correct? I also have a manual boost controller I'll be adding once this boost situation can get figured out.

This thing is a freaking animal at that psi; not too interested in breaking ####....right away. I'd like to be sitting around 6-7 psi.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where do you have your vacuum source coming from on the engine? is it before or after the TB?

The source is coming from a vacuum tree on the firewall. I know the directions and manufactures state to connect it before the TB but it seems as if many are usign a vacuum tree source and doing fine.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I recently sold one of my On3 kits to a friend and he had massive boost creep regardless of the springs in the wg. We tried my wg on his car and it would still run up too 15-16psi. Put his wg on my car and it would hold 4psi. Ended up installing a second On3 wg to fix the prob.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recently sold one of my On3 kits to a friend and he had massive boost creep regardless of the springs in the wg. We tried my wg on his car and it would still run up too 15-16psi. Put his wg on my car and it would hold 4psi. Ended up installing a second On3 wg to fix the prob.

You installed 2 wastegates or concluded the inital gate was junk?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You installed 2 wastegates or concluded the inital gate was junk?
The WG that came on the kit would not control the boost regardless of the spring on his car. On my car, with the same on3 kit and a similar HCI combo it worked fine. He ordered a replacement WG on Ebay that was identical to the one that came in the On3 kit and installed it with the On3 WG. The 2 chinese WG's control the boost fine. Adding a second WG was cheaper than buying a larger WG.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would ask for a replacement if that is what you find is the true problem. I had the the same problem on mine except I had the vacuum line on the wrong port. Man, 18psi on my 347 was beyond crazy. I'm just glad everything held together. It holds steady at 6psi now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would ask for a replacement if that is what you find is the true problem. I had the the same problem on mine except I had the vacuum line on the wrong port. Man, 18psi on my 347 was beyond crazy. I'm just glad everything held together. It holds steady at 6psi now.

Did you have it hooked to the end port? Now your hooked to the side port?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I dont have a On3 kit, mines a DIY setup. But your lines look hooked up right like the other stated. Did you ever check to make sure both those bolts are lined up with the holes for the hose fittings. If you want to stay at the spring psi. You need to check them both out. If the top gate fitting is not opened to the air it will give you a higher psi setting. I currently run a 44mm tial wg with a 5psi spring. but the 44mm may have been a little to big. Because during tuning it would have trouble controling at steading psi. Psi would die off torward to end of the runs. The tunner said i should just plug it and it would control better. So we inserted a plug on the top of the wg and with a 5psi spring I see steading 10lbs all day long.

Also make sure your hoses are in good order. My hose is ran from a fitting on the compressor housing also. The 30min. ride from my house to the tunner the inside of the hose melted and closed up. But it looked fine from the outside which stumped us for a while. Because my first run on the dyno I exspected to see 5lbs but she went straight to 25lbs because the wg couldnt register any psi. Right away I got rid of my rubber hoses and bent up some brake lines instead. Ill never have that problem again. Good thing my car was extremely rich or that 25lbs would have distroyed it the first run. lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had similar issues with mine and it was the vacuum source that was the problem. Even with the orange spring (supposed to be 5-6psi) it would spike to 13psi. Moved the vacuum source and it shoots to 8psi and holds perfectly.

Check the banjo fittings as well. They dont seal worth a crap

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help guys, when I get over my stomach flu I'll go check all these areas and report back, I'm sure its the bolt or hose. I have the stock spring in, which should be 7-8 psi.

·
Registered
452 Posts
not sure if anyone asked this i just glanced over all posts. what size is your turbo and waste gate? i also have boost creep because i have a good turbo with a cheap ebay 38mm wg. switching to a good tial 44mm to fix the problem. there is a huge difference between a $30 wg and a $350 wg.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts