Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I pulled my engine, its a long story. Anyway, I am replacing the rear oil seal and clutch. I am also installing gt40 heads, is a new cam worth the hassel? How much extra power can be expected from mild cam?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again. With the correct TURBO specific cam you'll achieve better flow through the engine and make more power with out turning up the boost. By not having to increase boost you're not putting any more strain on your motor. The more efficient at making power your engine is with out shoving more air down its throat, the less chance of splitting a stock block.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again. With the correct TURBO specific cam you'll achieve better flow through the engine and make more power with out turning up the boost. By not having to increase boost you're not putting any more strain on your motor. The more efficient at making power your engine is with out shoving more air down its throat, the less chance of splitting a stock block.
No argument there….but at block-splitting power, IMHO it’s not worth the several hundred dollars extra. With gt40 heads, decent springs and something along the lines of an f303 cam, he’s likely to be near or at 500rwhp at 10psi. So he spends and extra $200-300 on a custom cam and is able to run 9.5 psi to get the same power….I think he (and a vast majority of others) would pass.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yepper, I'm passing. I did pick up the ARP head stud kit for insurance. I have spent way more than I anticiapated on this build. I really really want a gt40intake and clutch at this point, but I'm getting impatient of waiting. I'm ready to slap her together this weekend. Here's a list of what I have purchased for thoses who care;

Q-time turbo kit
MSD Did 6
60lb injectors
255lph Walbro
Mishimito rad
Ramchargers fan
Flex-a-lite controller
Energy Suspension Engine mounts
Autometer temp guage
Innovate G3 LC1 Kit
Dual A-piller pod
SCT Chip
BA-2400
GT 40 Heads
ARP stud kit
Rear oil seal
Fel 9333's

And I thought I only needed a fuel pump ,injectors, mass air meter!!! :) The list keepings growin and growing like a plague!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts