Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanting to change out my 390's to 430 gears,but not sure this would be a wise choice,i'm going to do a couple track day events this year. this will be so i can drive the car in a safe and controlled enviroment,nothing serious.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The high revving 4V engines like gears. At Thunderhill my 4.10's give me 120 mph/6850 rpm at the end of the front straight. About perfect with a stock Cobra motor.

I still have plenty of revs left on shorter straightways at buttonwillow, laguna and infineon. A 4.30 would probably not force a 5th gear change at those tracks. It would also let you carry 3rd in a few more corners, eliminating several 2nd gear changes.

So for an occasional track day, you'd probably be OK. I'd probably just stick with the 3.90's until you've tried a few days.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
4.30's in a 4v car certainly pull like a rXXXd ape. ;) As for a track day, it's probably a little much.

·
Registered
591 Posts
would prolly be nice with a road race 5th gear

·
Registered
326 Posts
4.30's are probably too much for Buttonwillow and definitely too much for Thunderhill unless of course you have a 7500 rpm motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts