Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of tearing my car apart for another round of upgrades. Changing over to a 31 spline diff and I see LMR sells a Strange axle/c-clip eliminator kit. Anyone using that kit want to share your experience?

A lot of what I'm reading says in general for a daily driver they suck, they leak all the time, they're a pain in the ass to install and if you are going to upgrade, just do 9 inch ends. I am also upgrading to 93 cobra 4lug disc brakes with NRC brackets, so 9 inch ends isn't going to be an option for me (I don't think anyway).

Full weight hatch, A-5, 4.10s, 330-350whp N/A, a sticky DOT tire, and maybe add a little dry shot in the future. At what point should you consider eliminating the c-clip axles?

·
Premium Member
2,417 Posts
When you put slicks on the car and go drag racing. Otherwise not really needed.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I ran moser c clip elims over 20 years ago on my 91 LX and they sucked. they leaked and were a constant problem, until the car got wrecked in 1997. So until recently i was running mosers with c clips in my 93 that i got shortly after the LX was killed. they have worked fine for over 20 years, and will as long as you dont break an axle. with my new combo i stepped up to 35s and a spool and went with 9" housing ends. I am running stock drums in the back and can tell you that the moser 9" ends for stock drums fits perfect. So if you want to use a 93 cobra conversion you should have no problem.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I only have a few hundred trouble free miles on my strange c clip eliminators so it’s early for me to say. Honestly I wouldn’t faq with them if you’ve got rear disc.

·
USAF retired
9,035 Posts
I run strange elims on mine and they don't leak. Make sure the parts are clean, use good sealant, get the bolts tight and follow the directions, you should be good.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run strange elims on mine and they don't leak. Make sure the parts are clean, use good sealant, get the bolts tight and follow the directions, you should be good.
Ha, I was just looking at the kit again from LMR and it states "for drum brakes only". I'm going to email Richard @ NRC and see what he says. Thanks for the feed back guys.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Strange axles without the c clip and NRC brackets are doable. I run them on mine. If you use 15'' rims you have to use the small rotor disc. I had to double up the caliper bracket spacers, and use longer bolts. the wheels get push out about 3/8 of an inch. If you are using a 28''x 10'' tire, you will have to roll the fender lip.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
just get 9" ends with the 8.8 bolt pattern

·
USAF retired
9,035 Posts
Ha, I was just looking at the kit again from LMR and it states "for drum brakes only". I'm going to email Richard @ NRC and see what he says. Thanks for the feed back guys.
I think they probably all say that. I cut out the center of the drum backing plate to use as a spacer of sorts. This guy did a nice write up with pics using the method I come up with a while back.

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,31850.0.html

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Weld on some 9” ends if you want to eliminate c-clips.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Not really the warm and fuzzy I was looking for either, I did strange elims on my 8.8 with disc brakes. Never had a problem with clips, just went with a spool and didn’t want to chance it. 500 miles and no leaks so far. Is there a product quality issue somewhere? Are they leaking at the plate or through the bearing thrust seal?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Hell, I got 9" ends on mine and I have one side that will NOT stop leaking since the day I got it built. I siliconed the OD of the bearing to seal it into the axle housing and it still leaks...

ks

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Hell, I got 9" ends on mine and I have one side that will NOT stop leaking since the day I got it built. I siliconed the OD of the bearing to seal it into the axle housing and it still leaks...

ks

What a pain in the ass!!! 2 years, no leaks on mine! Hope I didn’t jinx myself, I’m checking when I go home

·
Registered
2,675 Posts

ks
is it going around the bearing or is it going through the bearings?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
is it going around the bearing or is it going through the bearings?
No clue but since I siliconed the outer surface real good and the leak never slowed down I have to think it's going through the bearing seals. Which is why I have made an effort to replace the bearing yet..

ks

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have mosers on my car one side was leaking when I bought the car never could get it to seal called moser they say for drag racing only. If you drive on the street they will leak due to side loading and warpage. My question is why don't they make them out of steel for the street.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts