Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big of a difference is it between a journal bearing vs. ball bearing turbo?

When should someone consider the later?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
also interested.
From what ive read, it helps with reducing lag. But i cant justify the extra cost when the journal bearing will do nearly the same thing...

·
Registered
346 Posts
The general rule I was told is yes, they do spool faster, but if you can not afford to buy a another one, don't get one. It is relatively inexpensive to rebuild a journal bearing turbo. When something goes wrong in a BB unit, is is almost as much as buying a new one to rebuild....

·
Registered
452 Posts
if you dont have one yet get a bb turbo. thats what i run i love it, spools faster it also makes cooler sounds but thats not a good reason to buy. keep in mind with bb you also have to run coolant lines

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Garrett claims a 15% increase in throttle response.

If double the cost is worth 15% faster spool up is up to you to decide.
They are a much better turbo.

Be warned though. BB turbos are water cooled as well and will require tapping into the coolant system too.

Garrett is working on rebuild cost for BB turbos as well and have a bearing exchange program.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree if money isn't the main concern there are plenty of other areas to spend the money. There are definitely advantages (quicker spool, lower chra temps, longer life, higher sideloads). I admit turbonetics is no garrett (even though the $ is equal), but my unit doesn't require coolant lines although you must run at least a -4 oil feed with NO restrictors, also it is rebuildable w/o a new turbo price. Put the $ towards a bulletproof bottom end if you don't have one.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I admit turbonetics is no garrett (even though the $ is equal), but my unit doesn't require coolant lines although you must run at least a -4 oil feed with NO restrictors, also it is rebuildable w/o a new turbo price.
You probably have a single ball bearing turbo. It uses a journal bearing on the hot side and a ball bearing on the compressor side. The nice Garretts are double ball bearing systems (DBB) and are the ones that require water cooling. Your's is kind of a hybrid ball bearing turbo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe Precision makes a line of turbos now that are only oil feed and double ball bearing and billet wheels. The popular sizes are 6262, 6265, 6765. You are going to pay 400-800 more depending on size.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts