Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 00GT seems to have a lot of popping noises sounds like either in the bellhousing area and in the exhaust, it did this when it was stone stock and last night I installed a Mac X-pipe and its still there?? Its the same sound as cars make when they are hot and shut off like creeking noises , is this normal, another Question is that when the rpms are held at 2200 there is little vibration anyone else have problems similar to these with their 99-02 4R70W's?? Thanks Trey

·
Registered
297 Posts
I beleive that is condensated water dropping on to the ultra-hot cats. I had the same concern when I first got my car. I guess they'll just rust quicker.:rolleyes:

I haven't noticed too much vibration at 2200 rpms and I don't really notice a popping noise when driving. I have a subscription to alldata for that model year. I can send you TSB info if you want.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
00MustangGT said:
I beleive that is condensated water dropping on to the ultra-hot cats.
Is that what the dealer told you? If so, where was this water coming from? A/C lines? How about in cold weather with no A/C or defroster on?

My car makes the same noises. Really didn't hear it much until I did the shift kit. Mmmmm...

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
trey193:

The little shift solenoids (2) are audible when coasting to a stop. Is it a light metallic click (solenoid) or is it a metallic pop? The heat shields on my stock h-pipe used to 'pop' a lot when the car was just parked after toodling around town. (This is much less frequent now with the VRS pipe). Is that what you are hearing?

·
Registered
116 Posts
nyuk98gt said:
trey193:

The little shift solenoids (2) are audible when coasting to a stop. Is it a light metallic click (solenoid) or is it a metallic pop? The heat shields on my stock h-pipe used to 'pop' a lot when the car was just parked after toodling around town. (This is much less frequent now with the VRS pipe). Is that what you are hearing?
nyuk98gt,

would you be able to hear the shift solenoid (if there is one :) ) when shifting into reverse ?

I hear a light metallic click sometimes (mostly when car is cold) when shifting into reverse.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Trey193, Correct me if I'm wrong, but the noise is audible when sitting at a stop, while in gear. It is sort of between a clicking sound and a popping sound.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
01 Steed, yes they are metallic type popping noise as U describe, it did it when it had cats and now with the offroad x, I have a lift and while in the air and in park it does it some of the time oh well I guess its fairly normal. What helped your car out the most the densecharger or the T/A?? Maybe we could work togather and get our 4R70W cars flying, this is my wifes and I have to say that I am impressed by the way it runs only mods are removed silencer and offroad X. Any help would be appreciated, and what is the Jerry mod, I have always tuned my 93 Cobra but these mod cars are new. Later > Trey

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'd have to say that the T/A was a more noticeable gain. It was installed along with the U/D pulleys, but after the densecharger (I also have a 70mm t/b). The additional gains from the Steeda components may have been compounded by the previous mods. Altogether, they really livened the car up!
The Jerry mod is a "do-it-yourself" shift kit. It involves removing the Valve body from trans and opening up a few of the holes in the separator plate. There is a good write-up on this at www.tccoa.com. The '01 Mustang application is a little different than the article describes. Some of the hole locations and sizes have changed since '97. Anyhow, it's a great mod! Good, firm shifts!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yes the dealer told me that, but so did a guy at the auto parts store, one of my friends, and I have seen the water dripping on it and boiling off with my own eyes and ears.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I did the Jerry's mods before I had my tranny rebuilt, my write up on it is at my web page in sig, click the mustang, then more mods, then driveline. The write up includes the part numbers I used and the hole diameters I drilled out.

I'm a little unclear in the noises you're hearing... Most of our cars will 'clunk' into reverse. Mine actually 'thuds' into it after the performance rebuild. When your torque converter locks up there is a noticable 'clank', as well. I wouldn't be too concerned with clicks and pops, it's the "grinds" and "moans" that mean something is dying...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
00MustangGT said:
Yes the dealer told me that, but so did a guy at the auto parts store, one of my friends, and I have seen the water dripping on it and boiling off with my own eyes and ears.
No question that this causes noises, but the sound we're talking about (Trey193 & myself) is present just seconds after start-up. There hasn't been time for condensation on the a/c lines to occur, especially when it's 30* outside. But thanks for your input.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts