Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant figure out for the life of me which set-up to run. Hopefully you guys can help me decide. I already own all the parts necessary to convert car to stick as it has a factory AOD in the car now. Build process is finally in the work. Just cant figure out which trans to use. Do i trade the TKO500 for a built auto or just install the stick. Keep in mind the stick will be dropped off at Bob Hanlon to install a new set of synchros to shift smooth at redline and to do away with the notchy feeling.

NOW....it has to hold its own against a naturally aspirated 347 thats making 437RWHP, PG w/brake, 4.56s, slicks, etc, etc...Only have to beat him once before he uses the spray...first run will be all motor

car will be my daily driver, give or take a 45 mile trip one way to work. has an IRS in it, along with all the tubular stuff up front, subframes, yada, yada, yada

86 coupe, 67mm, TW heads, stock bottom end (maybe next year i will slap together a bigger cube), rpm2, 70mm TB, 42lb inj, 3.55s, drag radials (at the track)...

Help me out guys.. I have 3 or so months before track opens

·
Registered
375 Posts
its all in really what you prefer, the auto will be better at lower speed cruising for sure, and will probably get you a better track time. You are going to get a bunch of different opinions i think on this one. in the end its going to be up to you.

just seen you had irs the auto to me would be a better choice for you because of the less stress on parts.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its all in really what you prefer, the auto will be better at lower speed cruising for sure, and will probably get you a better track time. You are going to get a bunch of different opinions i think on this one. in the end its going to be up to you.

just seen you had irs the auto to me would be a better choice for you because of the less stress on parts.
I am leaning towards the auto. Just never thought i would be building a mustang and throwing an auto in it..Always been a stick guy

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was the same way man, i just sold my viper spec t-56.
I hear you. If I can find someone to swap with I might do it. If I have to sell everything off thats too much of a pita.

What trans would be good for whatever limit 42lb injectors are good for?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
All depends on what you want the car for..
My car with the turbo went much faster with a built auto, but it was much more fun with the stick.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
All depends on what you want the car for..
My car with the turbo went much faster with a built auto, but it was much more fun with the stick.
Car Is gonna be my DD. Will be taken to the track at the most, 4-5 times a year if that. Just has to hold up to boost and be able to hang with the guys who run 11s. OD is a MUST....

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its just gonna be a thing thats up to you your tko would do just fine running 11's.
But would the IRS hold up as is from factory with only brace, full bushings and coil-overs running the stick launching at whatever RPM...... OR would it have a better shot holding up to foot braking with the Auto?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nothing beats a good et though when your rowing your own gears. IMO I say you stick with the manual and have a higher sense is satisfaction when you knock off a sweet time.

my 2 pennies

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing beats a good et though when your rowing your own gears. IMO I say you stick with the manual and have a higher sense is satisfaction when you knock off a sweet time.

my 2 pennies
Muchos1898
Sig says stock shortblock. Mind telling me what the rest of the combo consists of

·
Banned
161 Posts
Car Is gonna be my DD. Will be taken to the track at the most, 4-5 times a year if that. Just has to hold up to boost and be able to hang with the guys who run 11s. OD is a MUST....
Go with the built AOD and a good convertor. The 5 speed will seem cave man after getting the auto combo right.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go with the built AOD and a good convertor. The 5 speed will seem cave man after getting the auto combo right.
What does a "built" AOD consist of, price,etc. Considering it's going in a DD, lock-up or NON lock-up? Converter size, stall??

·
Banned
161 Posts
What does a "built" AOD consist of, price,etc. Considering it's going in a DD, lock-up or NON lock-up? Converter size, stall??
Upgraded (from stock ) parts, capable of dealing with the additional horsepower and torque. I have a 10" convertor and it is a "lock up" type. I have heard from various sources that a lock up is desirable in boosted applications, and (in my limited experience) I can not argue. PM me if you want, and I will give you my tranny and convertor manufacturors names as I am not trying to pimp anybody`s products.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I got a built AOD rated at 600ft/lbs of torque. Actually thinking of swapping for a tko600 or t56. I may think of swapping with you if you were closer. I love the auto's pure consistent power but a stick is still fun to me.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have a build thread in the turbochargers section called "thought i would share my combo".
Just read it. very nice. I would be Extremely Happy with 11;40s with an AOD, stock shortblock, TW heads, RPM2, IRS and (keeping my fingers crossed on these two)...decent gas mileage and no issues in lovely New York traffic

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, just posted a WTT add...lets see what comes of it

1 - 20 of 60 Posts