Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running a set of 28x10.5x15 ET drags on a 15x8 wheel. I'm wondering about how much the tire grows on the top end of the track.

Lets say around 105-108 mph 1/8
Lets say around 131-135 mph 1/4

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Running a set of 28x10.5x15 ET drags on a 15x8 wheel. I'm wondering about how much the tire grows on the top end of the track.

Lets say around 105-108 mph 1/8
Lets say around 131-135 mph 1/4
My car ran in that area and I did not have problems with them touching the wheelwells. FWIW, Mickey Thompson states that tire grows about an inch and a half at 150 MPH. James

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car ran in that area and I did not have problems with them touching the wheelwells. FWIW, Mickey Thompson states that tire grows about an inch and a half at 150 MPH. James
I wonder if that 1.5" is mounted on a 15x8, 15x10, or 15x12 wheel? I kind of think the 15x8 is going to allow more growth because there is more flex in the sidewall.

I just made some rear suspension changes and realized my rear is now sitting further back in the wheel well, about 1/2" closer to the rear ground effect than the front. I have an event to Race in on Saturday and didn't want to have to readjust before the race.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I wonder if that 1.5" is mounted on a 15x8, 15x10, or 15x12 wheel? I kind of think the 15x8 is going to allow more growth because there is more flex in the sidewall.

I just made some rear suspension changes and realized my rear is now sitting further back in the wheel well, about 1/2" closer to the rear ground effect than the front. I have an event to Race in on Saturday and didn't want to have to readjust before the race.
I just ran into this problem.

I was running a 15x8 wheel with a 28x12.5 et street. I thought I had plenty of clearance. I guess wrong. The tires burned through my front ground effects and started hitting the metal behind the ground effects.

Needless to say I got rid of the tires. To much growth for the fenders.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking further at my rear end on Friday, I made the needed adjustment. The drivers side was sitting farther back than the passenger side, so I shortened the driver side lca by 3 turns, around 1/4" or so. I guess when I originally installed I must have adjusted one and forgot to adjust the other (IDIOT).

I ran Saturday at the track and cut a 1.43 sixty foot and ran [email protected] which is a new best for my car, EVER!

Its about time for a new set of tires though, they're around the 50% wear mark at this point.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
After looking further at my rear end on Friday, I made the needed adjustment. The drivers side was sitting farther back than the passenger side, so I shortened the driver side lca by 3 turns, around 1/4" or so. I guess when I originally installed I must have adjusted one and forgot to adjust the other (IDIOT).

I ran Saturday at the track and cut a 1.43 sixty foot and ran [email protected] which is a new best for my car, EVER!

Its about time for a new set of tires though, they're around the 50% wear mark at this point.
So you fit a set of 28's on the car without any rubbing issues?

Still running a 8 inch wide wheels?

Pics please...

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't link directly to or copy the picture, but you can go here:

http://www.snsdragracing.com/picture_gallery.html

Click on the right arrow twice and you should see my White GT with the Stormin Norman hood and a small black sticker on the front bumper. There is a burnout picture and launch picture there. You can scroll further through and find more pictures of it.

Those pictures were from June, but same tires I have on it currently.

A 28x10.5 ET Drag on a 15x8 draglite with 5.5 BS fits. I had to roll the fender lips and cut the ground effects a bit to clearance for them as well as took a big hammer to the inner fender/frame area. You can also fit them on a 15x10 with 6.5 BS. Can't go any bigger though without more modification.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I run a 28x9 et drag on my 93 cobra without having to modify anything. I'm only trapping 122 and it grows 3/4". Here's a couple of pics.

28x9 et drag on 15x8 weld with 5,5 backspace

28x9 et drag on 15x8.25 monocoque with 5.5 backspace

·
Registered
261 Posts
I run a 28x9 et drag on my 93 cobra without having to modify anything. I'm only trapping 122 and it grows 3/4". Here's a couple of pics.

Lucky's with Cobra ground effects!!!

·
Registered
929 Posts
if I would run 15x8 with 5.5 back spacing welds on the rear of my stang what tire should I put on them? I was to avoid hitting the wheel well. I am on a stock suspension.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
if I would run 15x8 with 5.5 back spacing welds on the rear of my stang what tire should I put on them? I was to avoid hitting the wheel well. I am on a stock suspension.

Thank you
That's what rim size I ran with a 28" x 10.5" tire and had no issues with rubbing. I only ran 132 through the quarter though. James

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what rim size I ran with a 28" x 10.5" tire and had no issues with rubbing. I only ran 132 through the quarter though. James
Same here, 15x8 with 5.5" bs with a 28x10.5. As long as the rear end is centered you will be OK.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Same here, 15x8 with 5.5" bs with a 28x10.5. As long as the rear end is centered you will be OK.
Not true i have the same rim & tire my rear end was centered on a alignment rack & my tire rub big time trust me u will need to do some massaging. My car also runs 150 + in the 1/4.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not true i have the same rim & tire my rear end was centered on a alignment rack & my tire rub big time trust me u will need to do some massaging. My car also runs 150 + in the 1/4.
Well yes, you are correct as well. I just failed to mention that you still have to roll the fender lips and take a hammer to the inner frame rail area. But you can fit said tire on said rim in the wheel well without any cutting.

The only cutting I had to do was because my car is a GT and the ground effects in the front/rear of the tire are too close, so I had to trim the inside of the ground effect. You couldn't tell from the outside.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
pic of my 93 with 15x10's with a 6.5" backspace, mickey 275/60-15 drag radials...

same car with bogart 15x10's, 6.5" backspace and mickey 28x10-15 ET drags...
aerospace brakes caused the 6.5" backspace.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts