Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just purchased a set of [email protected] Cobra R reps in 18x9.5. I am looking to pick up some tires that will keep this fat pig of a car under control for mainly autocross and back road driving. I will open track it every so often, when the opportunity presents itself.

I am looking at 2 tires primarily and wanted to get yalls opinions on the choices. I am considering the Bridgestone RE-71s and the Hankook Ventus RS3s. My car is a full weight 99 Cobra.

My car is not a daily driver and is purely for fun. If I could get away with it, I would love to run an r comp tire. But I am not sure if that is a good idea.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Unfortunately no experience with either of the two tires you mention. If you're open to other ideas and your budget is flexible (remember tires are the most important upgrade/part of the car as they translate everything you do to grip on the road/track) I'd suggest buying the best tire you can afford. I'd suggest considering Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in your search. They come in 275/35ZR18 (99Y) XL which should fit your wheels. Not cheap by any stretch but I love them on my daily driver. Great in the dry, good in the wet and lousy in the snow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately no experience with either of the two tires you mention. If you're open to other ideas and your budget is flexible (remember tires are the most important upgrade/part of the car as they translate everything you do to grip on the road/track) I'd suggest buying the best tire you can afford. I'd suggest considering Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in your search. They come in 275/35ZR18 (99Y) XL which should fit your wheels. Not cheap by any stretch but I love them on my daily driver. Great in the dry, good in the wet and lousy in the snow.
Thanks for the suggestion. These tires are actually supposed to be stickier than Super Sports. Iv always heard nothing but good things about the Pilots so thats where I started my search.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Last season, I participated in two advanced A/X driving schools. National level drivers for coaches. In any event, I asked both of mine which tires they recommended for my CAM class and both recommended the RE-71R. The only reason I went with the Rival S was due to sizing. I couldn't get the Bridgestones or Hankooks in a 315/30/18.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, just left Discount tire. Picked up the 275/35/18 Bridgestone RE-71R's. Cant wait to get them on my new wheels. I have 4.30s in my 99 cobra and I will enjoy not having to have so much throttle finesse leaving a corner. Im sure I will really come to appreciate them when I snag the 00 Cobra Brembos upgrade I have my eye on and have a little more stopping power.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
If you now have 2 sets of wheels, I would have recommended buying used non-DOT slicks from Track Guys. $115ish each for barely used take offs. I used the Continental GT-Rs last year, as sticky as an A6 when hot. Was going to try the Pirellis this year as they are supposed to be even softer. However, they would have forced you into CP and it sounds like you are more CAM oriented anyhow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you now have 2 sets of wheels, I would have recommended buying used non-DOT slicks from Track Guys. $115ish each for barely used take offs. I used the Continental GT-Rs last year, as sticky as an A6 when hot. Was going to try the Pirellis this year as they are supposed to be even softer. However, they would have forced you into CP and it sounds like you are more CAM oriented anyhow.
Do you think the 17x8 are wide enough to hold the weight of a full interior Cobra? Iv thought about it, but my worry is they are a little to narrow.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Last season, I participated in two advanced A/X driving schools. National level drivers for coaches. In any event, I asked both of mine which tires they recommended for my CAM class and both recommended the RE-71R. The only reason I went with the Rival S was due to sizing. I couldn't get the Bridgestones or Hankooks in a 315/30/18.
How did the BF Goodrich Rival S work for you? Were you happy with it?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Do you think the 17x8 are wide enough to hold the weight of a full interior Cobra? Iv thought about it, but my worry is they are a little to narrow.
I'd use the skinny wheels for the street and big wheels for racing. Bigger is almost always better, imo. The fastest CAM foxes were running at least 18*11s, if not 18*12s, iirc.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
I ran the factory 17x8s on my 01 Cobra Vert with 255/40s. The tires tended to roll over on the narrower wheel even with nearly 45 psi. So I tried a 17x9 and 255/45s which worked better. This taught me that a rim the same or a bit wider than the tread width is the way to go. I'd run a 10" with the 275s.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts