Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing a Steeda radiator tomorrow and wanted some tips. I have a 96 With a Vortech on it. I plan on just draining the old fluid removing the battery and the hoses and taking the radiator out. Am I missing anything? Will I be able to remove and install the radiator without removing the supercharger? Do I need any special anti freeze for this radiator? I bought Prestone anti freeze and distilled water along with 2 bottles of waterwetter. HOw much water and how much anti freeze should I use? Should I use the entire bottle of anti freeze or just a portion of it? Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
25 Posts
It will probably be easier if you remove the intake tube going to the Vortech. I assuming it may just get in the way but since mine is N/A I don't know for sure. I put the regular antifreeze back in and made sure it was the right mix with one of those checking tools. One thing to look out for which was probably just a fluke on mine is make sure that the overflow tube fitting on the filler cap neck #1 is tapped out to the right diameter, mine wasn't and I had to buy a tap to open it up for the fitting and #2 make sure it isn't clocked (meaning the direction the fitting points) wrong. Mine pointed towards the overflow tank and I had to get a 90 degree fitting to make it work. Leave to me to get one not right:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
When I bought mine, Fred Mills at Steeda said to use 70% water, 30% antifreeze. All I used was the green Prestone. Of course that ratio is for summer use. Probably 50/50 for winter.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much fluid should my car hold? I bought 1 gallon of antifreeze and 4 gallons of distilled water. Will this be enough antifreeze? Also, how should I add it? Should I add one gallon of water first then a gallon of antifreeze and them more water or does it not matter? Any other thing I should look out for?

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
It is necessary to remove the SC inlet tube and the battery tray. Other than that, it's a pretty straightforward install.

Do you have the petcock for the radiator? When I ordered my Steeda radiator, they didn't mention that the petcock was a separate item, so I didn't order one. If you don't have one, you can pick one up at most parts stores.

One last thing, be sure to refill the cooling system through the filler plug on the coolant manifolds above the alternator and not through the reservoir tank.

·
Registered
560 Posts
[ #2 make sure it isn't clocked (meaning the direction the fitting points) wrong. Mine pointed towards the overflow tank and I had to get a 90 degree fitting to make it work. Leave to me to get one not right:D [/B][/QUOTE]
your not the only one that has happen too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally got the thing installed. I ran into a few problems. First of all was the stupid petcock valve. Frigen thing is reverse threaded and when I added my antifreeze it just leaked all out. Yeehaa..... Then I finished everything started the car and thick white smoke was pouring from my motor. I shut it off to investigate. I noticed that the fan was rubbing against the radiator becuase of the way I mounted it and that was causing the motor to burn out. I had to take most everything off to reposition the fan and finally got things back together. I started it back up and the white smoke was gone. So all in all it seems to be working....

One question still..... I only added about 2 gallons of water and fluid. Is this going to be enough? I ran the car for about 10 minutes and the coolant didn't drop any. Is this normal or will I have to run the car for a longer time?

Pete

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not to change the subject Pete, but did you have any clearance issues with the radiator binding up against your blower intake tube?

We put my Vortech in this weekend (I already had the Steeda radiator), in order to get the intake tube to fit, we had to lower the position of the radiator (by a little less than an inch) by removing the bottom rubber mounts that the radiator anchors into. Just curious if you had any problems with your fit, other than what you mentioned.

Brian

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I was hooking everything up I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to fit the inlet tubes to the Supercharger. However when what I did was put the tube in the blower first then making a bridge with the other tube and connecting them together and tightning them down. It actually fit perfectly believe it or not. I never thought it would fit. Besides practically setting my car on fire it wasn't too bad. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts