Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive hit a crossroads with my car. My current AODE and Edge converter just isnt holding up anymore. Ive had the converter restalled twice and it still flashes at 5500 RPMs. I dont know if its just the converter or the tranny but at the 8th mile im at 6000 RPMs with 3.73 gears and a 27" tall tire. Car will never make it to the 1/4 mile mark.

Should i just junk the tranny i have and save up for a good C4? Id like to go full manual reverse valve body with trans brake. Car made 500 RWHP so just wanted to see what some of you guys are doing.

Also this car still has the stock axles and stock differential. Is a spool my best option?

If i have the axle tubes welded, and 9" ends put on my 8.8 will it hold up?

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
You should be able to get a converter made right for your combo. I was using a 4200 nonlockup edge converter in my old AOD. Worked well for me..But I just decided to switch to a C4 for the weight savings/et gain. Have you talked to Andre about your combo..you may need to switch to a larger converter to be able to get the stall tighter. Also you could swap to a 28" tire to help get the rpm's down.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have talked to Andre several times. I sent him all of the specs for the car. Car made the HP i told him it would and it still isnt right.

I dont want to go to a taller tire because ill loose some gear. I shouldnt have to anyway.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I have talked to Andre several times. I sent him all of the specs for the car. Car made the HP i told him it would and it still isnt right.

I dont want to go to a taller tire because ill loose some gear. I shouldnt have to anyway.
http://www.ultimateconverter.com/

Give Lenny a call, thats who I bought my 3200 stall from,and see what he may be able to offer you.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
500 rwhp, wow!! and to think that you actually made 460 rwhp???:rolleyes:
:bs::bs::bs:

Get a stick, build the 8.8 and go at it like a man!:)

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Lenny/Ultimate Converter Concepts is awesome and you might look into a Lentech AOD so you can keep OD.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Yep, you need someone to build the converter that knows what they're doing. Do you know if its a 10", 9", or 8" converter? If its an 8", that would explain a lot of the problem. I ran an 8" that was originally a 5500 stall, way too loose. Had it tightened up to 3800-4200ish and it worked just fine for n/a performance, but when I hit it with the nitrous it pushed right through it on the big end. I switched to a 9" and thats what I've been running ever since.
www.circledspecialties.com does all my converter work. Chris is the owner and gives great service. (the 8" I was running was originally from trans-king as was the 9" I currently run, but Circle D has rebuilt the 9" from the ground up to work with my setup).

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a 9.5" converter. Single disc setup.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lenny/Ultimate Converter Concepts is awesome and you might look into a Lentech AOD so you can keep OD.
I gave Lenny a call. Im going to see what he can do for me. Thanks for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts