Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the most appropriate thread to post this, but I'm sure a lot of you road racers out there have ventured into this before.

I am looking to tighten up the steering in my '92 Mustang. I drive mine a lot and I have noticed that my steering is very unresponsive and there is a lot of slop in my wheel. I can turn it roughly a couple degrees either direction and still drive straight. All of my steering components are stock.

What are some of the things that you guys have done to mitigate this?

Do these steering columns actually help:

Steering Shaft Assembly, Power Steering Rack, 1979-93 Mustang
Classic Car Parts - Vintage Auto Products

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Also the MM aluminum rack bushings will help tighten or eliminate the play between the rack and k member.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Other than a super rare 2000 cobra r or or 03/04 cobra are there any other good racks? Like a mach 1 or any part store racks? My car wanders

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have an 04 GT rack in mine with the MM shaft and it is far better than the old fox setup.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Also the MM aluminum rack bushings will help tighten or eliminate the play between the rack and k member.
I've got some AL rack bushings I picked up 10 or 20 years ago but never installed. I can't find any instructions on making sure I don't screw up Ackerman. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got some AL rack bushings I picked up 10 or 20 years ago but never installed. I can't find any instructions on making sure I don't screw up Ackerman. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough?
Hey Aurdraco,

Are the center hole or offset hole or un-drilled? (just curious)
Either way they shouldn't "screw up" your ackerman angle that much. Bumpsteer vs. Ackerman in a fox is definitely a give take if your running a factory K-member & stock coil/strut setup.
IMO...focus on eliminating as much bumpsteer as you can with rack bushings & tie-rod kits, then worry about ackerman.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts

I am looking to tighten up the steering in my '92 Mustang. I drive mine a lot and I have noticed that my steering is very unresponsive and there is a lot of slop in my wheel. I can turn it roughly a couple degrees either direction and still drive straight. All of my steering components are stock.

The rack is just worn out, and/or the rag joint.

I once was on a long trip across country when the rack went bad. I wanted to get home before doing any work, so going through the mountains I could turn the wheel a quarter turn before the wheels moved. I had estimate a turn ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Here is what I have. Car already has a bumpsteer kit on it.

Hey Aurdraco,

Are the center hole or offset hole or un-drilled? (just curious)
Either way they shouldn't "screw up" your ackerman angle that much. Bumpsteer vs. Ackerman in a fox is definitely a give take if your running a factory K-member & stock coil/strut setup.
IMO...focus on eliminating as much bumpsteer as you can with rack bushings & tie-rod kits, then worry about ackerman.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rack is just worn out, and/or the rag joint.

I once was on a long trip across country when the rack went bad. I wanted to get home before doing any work, so going through the mountains I could turn the wheel a quarter turn before the wheels moved. I had estimate a turn ahead of time.
I just had installed a new rack, don't remember the manufacturer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is what I have. Car already has a bumpsteer kit on it.

Cool...center hole.
As long as the length of the bushing matches the length of the rack mounting holes, then it will not change the ackerman angle any. If your rack is stock & the bushing are for a stock rack, then your good!

The benefit of using them is that the rack will have close to zero deflection during use.

Are the rack bushings that are on the car now, off-set or center hole?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I didn't see any mention of outer tie rod ends (unless I messed it). This is the first place I look for steering slop, and most often the culprit. After that, ball joints. If those are confirmed good, then definitely start looking at the other stuff.

Frank

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't see any mention of outer tie rod ends (unless I messed it). This is the first place I look for steering slop, and most often the culprit. After that, ball joints. If those are confirmed good, then definitely start looking at the other stuff.

Frank

got new ball joints and new tie rod ends this year

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ok, good deal, in addition to the steering rack, etc. also don't forget your tires. I have seen economy tires introduce a fair amount of slop in steering response due to soft sidewalls. Changed over to better tires (same size/aspect ratio) and vast improvement.

Frank

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, good deal, in addition to the steering rack, etc. also don't forget your tires. I have seen economy tires introduce a fair amount of slop in steering response due to soft sidewalls. Changed over to better tires (same size/aspect ratio) and vast improvement.

Frank
Just put on brand new saleen SC rims and nitro 555 tires

·
Registered
136 Posts
Other than a super rare 2000 cobra r or or 03/04 cobra are there any other good racks? Like a mach 1 or any part store racks? My car wanders

Cortex racing has racks that have stiffer torsion bars in them. I have not heard of anybody using them though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
One thing you could check on your rack is the pinion preload adjustment. The plastic guide can and does wear over time, so it can't hurt to check the adjustment.

Just loosen the big jam nut and pull the plug/spring/yoke out to inspect for wear or damage, then repack with some fresh grease and reassemble. Torque the inner plug to 45-50 in/lbs, then tighten the lock nut back to 50 ft/lbs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts