Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine: i built a 418, SEFI (Moates), EDIS, custom cam by Ed,TF 205 CNC heads, 9.48 static compr., all forged internals, 80mmTB, Vic Jr EFI upper and lower, 25lph pump, 6 rib Exploder front dress...

Application: 68 Bronco, 4R70W w/300M mainshaft and all the stuff Silver Fox told me to do, 24 forward gears, 40" tires, 5.13 gears, air lockers frt and rear, 35 spline Chrome-moly axles, hi pinion 9", etc.

Wants: more HP! 40" tires suck HP out when in 30" deep heavy wet snow or super soft sand dunes with a 5500# loaded vehicle... Ed built me a cam 7 yrs ago when i built this engine exactly what I thought I wanted...well, torque was fun for a couple years...now I want to be able to bounce off my rev limiter at 6K when all 4 tires are spinning at 45mph with the tach but I cant3...literally cant in 3rd gear in thise conditions. I need tire speed when in this conditions--unlike when I need to idle thru rocks larger than any Mustang ever made...so Ed says I cant get another 100HP w/o a blower...whos done it on a DD type 1,000miles/mo (some months 1,000 miles/week...
Is longevitt there?
Will I get a reliable 100 hp from the blower and a new cam (Ed's grinding another)

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
100 hp gain from the blower would be not even trying hard. At about 9.5:1 with the typical 8-10 psi you'd probably gain 120-140 rwhp and 100 ft-lbs. Won't feel a lot of it in the lower rpms but from midway up to redline you would.

Shame theres not an off the shelf air to water intercooled Whipple or KB for a windsor setup.

I had a T trim on a 427 Windsor but it was 10.75:1 and a bit of a different animal that what you have. It was carb'd with AFR 225's and a small solid roller. With just 8 psi it gained almost 200 rwhp with that high of a comp ratio.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can get exactly as much HP as you want from a blower.
But doing it just for 100hp? It's gonna be some expensive 100hp...

Minimum 12psi of boost, less isn't worth it imo. And 12psi of boost will get you a lot more power.
Simple equation is 14psi of boost = N/A power x2.
If your engine makes 300hp N/A it should make around 600hp on 14psi. Give or take ofcourse, but it's a quite simple rule that sometimes is proven true.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow so if I'm N/A and producing close to 475-500hp (flywheel) then I can expect double at 12psi ( with proper cam, induction and exhaust)...

I'd have a hard time driving this tall, narrow, short wheelbased rig straight with that kind of power... hmmm...appr what rpm could I expect it see/feel the additional power come on...I would like it to be as low as possible...2500 would be nice--dreaming aren't I??

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another Ti question...can I turn it off a 6 rib serp pulley w/o belt slip IF I get a lot of belt to pulley wrap/contactand the right tensioner. It has to be run off my main belt...no room at all for an additional blower pulley to be grafted on to the crank pulley.

I run Exploder front dress to allow more room for a radiator...plus I run a neutral balanced Exploder crank pulley since I wired in EDIS to the Moates with independent coil packs. Its a 6 rib setup, my OBA (York compressor for running frt and rear lockers) is 6 rib...pulleys might be tough even tho I make my own accessory brackets...thanks again!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm looking at running a si on my '68 bronco. once I get my motor finished..with the measuring that I've done..it appears that the explorer timing cover is the same as the sn95 cover ..so,i'm looking at using a vortech kit for a 94/95 mustang with a 302

plan to use the blower on the passenger side,and leave the explorer front dress on the drivers side,power steering and hopefully a/c later

have you tried to set your motor/trans back in the chassis any? I know it makes the driveshaft to rear angle a lil worse,but since you are running a high pinion on the back,that should take some of the angle off ..what transfercase are you running? with that much power you are talking about,i'm guessing an Atlas? I plan to run a 4R,and a np 205

I need to look into the balancer deal,but I was planning to run an romac balancer that I used to have on my 1994...maybe shoot me a pm,and we can trade notes,etc....sounds like a killer project!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow so if I'm N/A and producing close to 475-500hp (flywheel) then I can expect double at 12psi ( with proper cam, induction and exhaust)...

I'd have a hard time driving this tall, narrow, short wheelbased rig straight with that kind of power... hmmm...appr what rpm could I expect it see/feel the additional power come on...I would like it to be as low as possible...2500 would be nice--dreaming aren't I??
Fortunate for your case the power is very linear to engine RPM (not linear as in perfectly linear but fairly close).
So more RPM = more boost.
It's not like a twin screw that hits full boost instantaneous or a turbo that spools up and KABLAMO full boost.

So if you want linear power then a centrifugal supercharger isn't a bad idea at all. I would've actually said you should try twin screw as in my theory the instant torque and power is what you would've wanted.
But you've made it clear you want predictive, linear power, and a centri is maybe the closest way to get that for you.

But even with very low boost levels say 6-8psi you will se a big power increase. So be prepared for that. And you need fuel, lots of it.
I'm running 12 psi which is imo low boost. I want closer to 16-18psi but my block don't want that.

But what's easy for you is that if you're not looking in to high boost levels then you don't need a complex system. You can keep it very simple. No intercooler or anything, just straight in.

These are only my opinions, which may (will) differ from others.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
A centri blower will have a wider tuning window than a PD blower. Keeping a ton of cylinder pressure at low rpm inside the cylinders can be a challenge - I found this out the hard way. But, if you get get it sorted, full boost at any rpm is insane.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Figure about 20 hp per psi average. Different engines respond differently. The most efficient engine N/A will make the most HP per psi of boost.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked with 2 different "phone guys" at Vortech and one had talked to an engineer and all recommendations from them are the Ti model with oil feed from the pan (which is what I want).

The Procharger has the new variable blower but physically there is no room for it (my wallet says no too).

What is the potential issue for tuning at lower rpms..."keeping the cylinders full" comment? I'm a rookie with blowers!

Is it any harder to tune with a blower than a normal Moates Qtrhorse tune? Isn't the airflow a consistent amount dependent on rpm's?

Isn't a 255lph fuel pump large enough for 600rwhp?

Next question will be about the Procharger rep's advice...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Abrupt change of plans...I posted this up in another thread but a loud "chirping"...serious CHIRP noise eventually diagnosed (very intermittent chirp) and it resulted in 3 dead Motorsports lifters and cam...

... so nowI am now putting together parts for a new 460 SBF.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts