Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive currently got dumps on my '00 mustang race car and with summer coming on I want to move away from them. I have thought about dual right side exit pipes underneath the car but routing past subframe connectors and off track excursions become a real worry with them hanging down there.

Ive spent many hours underneath my car and in looking at the rear floor, underneath where the rear seat used to be I think a 2.5 or 3" pipe could easily be routed up through a hole cut in the sheetmetal and then routed over to the side of the car underneath the fake side scoops in front of the rear tires on either side.

Ive seen this done on 87-93 cars where they have a larger side area. On the 99-04s this area is much smaller due to the side scoops. The through the body pipes may have to be ovaled to help them fit in the area under the scoops.

I would think an aluminum plate riveted to the side of the car with the shape of the oval exhaust pipe cut into it only larger would really look and perform well.

Anyone done this? Im looking for some helpful tips and ideas in doing this.

Lots of time to brain storm while looking at all the Du Mans race car eye candy on Speed today!!!

Thanks, :salute:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I looked into this as well and for reasons of simplicity and cost, i've decided to keep to the under car/ side exit method. Going through the body may require you to build enclosures depending on what racing rule book you have to live by... heat and noise also come into play.

Post pics if you go through with it... but going off road and routing past subframe connectors shouldnt scare you off from just keeping it simple.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ernesto Rocco has it on is 98 Cobra
Finding detailed pics other than just profile or on track shots is difficult.

I looked into this as well and for reasons of simplicity and cost, i've decided to keep to the under car/ side exit method. Going through the body may require you to build enclosures depending on what racing rule book you have to live by... heat and noise also come into play.

Post pics if you go through with it... but going off road and routing past subframe connectors shouldnt scare you off from just keeping it simple.
The car has dumps right now that exit pretty much right underneath my seat. Getting the hot exhaust out from under the car is a step in the right direction.

Its a race car so its already hot and very loud. I for sure dont want to make it any hotter inside. I will be adding some aluminum block off sheilds to the rear floorwell where the pipes would come in and some insulation. The rule book does allow for this in my class ITE/STO.

FYI, SpinTech has stepped subframe connectors that go with their side exhaust setup.
I have them on my 99 cobra, just never got around to adding the v6 rear bumper and side exhaust. Very solid subframe connectors, I can jack either side up anywhere along their length.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Probably didn't realize "Exhaust - 2005" was the same thing he was posting thanks to the way the board now handles link titles.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I sortof copied Darius' car, but I wanted the exhaust to only exit on the passenger side. 3" pipe off the headers into a "Y" pipe w/ 4" pipe out of the "Y". Small race bullet muffler, then up and out the passenger side quarter.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Do you have a copy of that last pic without the watermark through the middle? That would make a great background too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts