Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A good friend of mine has always been an advocate of turbocharging. He thinks I should sell my blower and buy a turbo kit.

I want to hear some thoughts of people who actually switched to a turbo setup from a blower.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Ill never go back! SC are too inefficient. My buddy has a 2011 5.0 making 857rwhp at 22psi with a fully built.motor, blower cams, ported heads ,etc.. Ive seen the stock motor make 1000+rwhp at the same boost level when turbod

·
Registered
668 Posts
I made the switch from a S-trim to a B&G 70m turbo setup. Should of done it years ago :)

I like'd the SC, but the Turbo just makes so much power.

Here is a dyno graph from before and after I made the switch.

Same amount of boost on both pulls.

S-trim timeslip:
http://www.blownstangs.com/cars/timeslips/88gt-7.002.jpg

Turbo timeslip:
http://www.blownstangs.com/cars/timeslips/88gt-6.99.jpg

Converter couldn't take the extra TQ the Turbo made over the SC. So 1st and 2nd were useless, but when 3rd gear locked the car was GONE. 10mph increase.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Same here never will go back to a blower...Turbo all the way!!! the power is insane!!!

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What engine mods do you have Tony?

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
668 Posts
What engine mods do you have Tony?
At that time it was a stock block 302 with ported TW heads and a Trick Flow Stage 1 cam. S-trim was 14 psi. When I switched to the turbo it was a master power 70 @ 14 psi.

I then put a 76gts on the same setup:

I've now went crazy with a 331 and bigger turbo, making closer to 800 rwhp.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I switched from a t-trim to a s475 I have no regrets the turbo is quiet and makes more power at lower and higher rpms. I ebayed the blower and it covered the turbo install.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ditto ^^^ Sold a t trim pullied at 17psi went to a mpt70 at 12 and lost my mind. Sounds way cooler too. I miss the gear noise at idle but not enough to ever get another one.

·
Formerly eades5.0
4,716 Posts
I had a S-trim for 6yrs then a T-trim. Same story with my the mpt70 was the ticket when I swapped. The thru the band power and gobbs of tq sold me.

I got tired of looking at dyno graphs and getting beat by turbo cars with less "peak" power than my centrifi setup aswell. So I took the plunge.

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of the main things that I'm looking at is the ability to "easily" run an intercooler on my 94/95 engine setup. Right now with the S trim's volute turned toward the throttle body it's a PITA to loop it back down and into the front bumper area then back around.

I've seen people do it successfully but in most cases it creates a cluster [email protected] under the hood.

I'm really afraid of blowing head gaskets left and right though. With my current setup I can run the piss out of it at 15 psi and 200*+ act's and not have to worry because my tuner is one of the best. But I see many who get professional tunes and still pop head gaskets left and right.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
How much power are you making?
Its a stock bottom end 302 with a Trickflow top end minus the cam im using the stock cam..14 psi very safe tune with meth injection also making just shy of 500 rwhp and torque...Thru an AOD...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I just sold my Vortech V1 S-trim, was running 12lbs on a stock 302 with just an explorer intake.

My tuner should be ordering my On3 kit in a few days so I will probably start a build thread in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I went from a stock block with a very mild hci and an S trim to what is in my sig. I don't have it ready to fire yet but it is close. If I would have stayed with the blower it would be running by now. That is the only advantage to a SC is the ease of installation. I know the turbo is small for the motor but it is what I have. Hopefully it will make decent power until I can afford a bigger turbo. I am just out of money at this point and I am hoping it will be worth all the time and money when it fires up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't say from experience, but with my car being a Saleen, it was natural to look into the Saleen blower, looks beautiful, works pretty efficient, but will max out @ 600whp. The Saleen guys will even tell you, if you want to go for high hp, go turbo. I could have gone that way but decided against it, besides, I've always been a turbo guy. Oh, and I don't like that blower "whine", sounds like permanent belt slip. My 2 pesos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts