Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips or tricks for the shadetree mechanic? Well, actually, the cool basement mechanic?

1. Anything I should watch out for?
2. Special tools/procedures?
3. Do you recommend welding anything?

Brown truck stopped by the house yesterday. :joy:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I would say weld EVERYTHING. I didn't have that available. I'm thinking about going back and having the brackets welded to the frame, but it holds just fine.

I put the PHB on my car using a 7.2V drill and jackstands. Took two days with such a horrible setup.

Make sure, whatever drill bit they require you to use, that you buy one of those bits that are about 18" long. This is the most important thing I found, it was really convienant to not have to jam yourself under the car to drill the holes with a longer bit.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I installed the MM PHB about 4 years ago and at that time the one thing that wasn't specially mentioned in there instruction was to make sure that the person who was going to drive the car needed to be in the driver’s seat when doing the final leveling of the PHB.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Hey Richard

Finally waking up the handling of the car!LOL
Did mine about 4 years ago also. What a difference it made.
Welding route would be the easiest. That's what I did. Tack it in a couple of places, make sure she it sitting square and when everything looks good.
Finish off the welding.
Now if you go the thru bolt way.( I did this for another mustang)
Make sure those frame rail bushing are to length. If not, they will put too much crush on the frame rail's and if they are too long. You won't have enough crush. Plus they only give you 2, so if you cut one too short. :blam: that's not going to be good.
MM instruction's are very good.
My only problem was my T/A rearend cover. I had to grind down the set screw's.
Hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
811 Posts
93Cobra#2771 said:
Any tips or tricks for the shadetree mechanic? Well, actually, the cool basement mechanic?

1. Anything I should watch out for?
2. Special tools/procedures?
3. Do you recommend welding anything?

Brown truck stopped by the house yesterday. :joy:
Assuming this is going on a 1993 Car:
1. The instructions tell you to take a plumb bob and take measurement D2. Then, install the bar as far forward as possible and take measurement D3. D3 should be 1/4" - 1/2" greater than D2. On my 1993 Mustang, D3 was more than 1" greater than D2. The factory bumpstops on the frame prevented the bar from moving forward. I left mine where it was, you could also grind off the bumpstop brackets.

2. The instructions don't say so but there is no way to drill out the frame holes without removing the shocks. The shocks should be removed after the measurements above have been taken and all the holes marked.

3. Good luck, I did not weld anything on my setup and it doesn't seem like I would need too.

Hope this helps,
Ed

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, guys. :D And yes, going on the car in my sig, a 93 Cobra.

·
Registered
12,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts