Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my motor is blown up... figured that I'd go ahead and install the AJE Tubular (mild steel) k member, ... still have yet to install the A arms. Anyway, here is a picture of the k installed and the "old stocker".

AJE (much lighter and easier to navigate around as you can see)

Here is stocker:

Didn't weigh them but I can tell you that there is a severe weight difference. Anyone know the weight of the stocker vs AJE, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Tim

P.S. These are my next install items:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks great. I'm still waiting for mine from the GP. I can't wait to get it installed.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bobn said:
that looks sharp!. couple of questions, no more jacking in the center of cross memeber? did you consider just the cross member without the a arms?thanks bobn
I haven't thought about jacking to be honest, that's the least of my worries :) Seriously tho... I haven't given that any thought. As far as without the A Arms... I would go any other way other then lightweight tough durable stuff. The stockers are great if you plan on doing alot of city driving (which I don't).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Looks great:) I just finished putting a D&D in my car and love teh looks of it. I used QA1 coilover struts up front for some more weight savings. I didn't weigh my stock vs. D&D but like you said you can tell a huge diffrence by just moving them around, the stock one was a job to just pull around.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
38 pounds difference, crossmembers alone. I put an AJE in with the stock control arms and springs and they have been on my car for a year.

The cross member, skinnies, GT brakes, DynaBatt battery, shocks, and live axle helped my car more than anything I have done to the stock engine.

Joe Lynch

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Joe! That info is appreciated. I've heard that with everything I'm doing, I'm looking at shaving tons of weight off..... around in the 125 lb range? Think that is possible?

Here's what I'm doing.... tell me if the weight difference I mentioned above sounds right?

Swapped to AJE tubular k
Swapped to AJE A Arms (believe they are aluminum but not 100% sure)
Swapped to coilovers on the front

Thank you for that info!

BMS,
Fit it PERFECT!!!!!! Seriously I couldn't ask for better fit.....

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those interested:

Stock k-member is 58lbs and the AJE is 24lbs Nice! LOL

I haven't weighed the "A" arms but I'd almost bet substantial weight loss between stock vs aftermarket.

·
Registered
369 Posts
On the D&D that I have, I put a small square of 1/2 plywood on the floor jack 'receiver' and then position it under an A arm close to the K member itself. It works good for me. Doesn't nick the tubes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts