Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a guess at what the RWHP and RWT will be, and what 1/4 mile times it will be capable of.

Here is the combo:
351-W F4TE shortblock
edelbrock 1408 600 cfm carb
stock carb heat shield
stock EGR spacer and EGR
Weiand Stealth EGR intake (mildly ported & port matched)
AFR 185 heads
1.6 roller rockers
comp cams XE282 HR cam
BBK 1 3/4 FL headers
BBK Cat H-Pipe
Dynomax Race magnum cat-back
T-5
Unsure on gearing, possibly stock 3.08, or 3.55's

Tell me what you think it will do, I do not have a clue, but it will get a dyno pull right after it is all installed (very soon).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everything is nice and well matched, but the carb is TINY for that application. Run a 750, it will be fine. If you go with the 3.55s, a double pumper would work fine, otherwise vacuum secondary will work well.

I honestly think you'll be in the 425hp area (flywheel) with that combo and the big carb, car should run low 12s with mild street gears, assuming great traction.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would run a bigger carb if I could find a EGR compatible/smog legal 750. I would use the victor JR intake if it was legal as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My intent isn't to criticize here, but the carb is very wrong for that combo. The stealth should pull to 6500 or so according to all accounts, that's fine.

The cam is plenty healthy, it won't really hit it's stride until 3000rpm.

That carb is great off idle, but it will start choking the engine at 4000rpm or so. I know, I have a 1405 Edelbrock on a mild 351.

So, the cam starts working right as the carb is signing off so the motor doesn't ever wake up.

I have seen all the formulas for required carb cfm at such and such a volumetric efficiency but it's bunk, everyone would be running a 550cfm carb if that's the case.

Now, I haven't looked into an emmissions legal carb that would work. How about a 735cfm carb off a 428CJ. Holley makes reproductions. Or, if they're square bore, I'm sure plenty of the original carbs on Chevy 396-427ci motors would work. Worth a shot, Holley reproduces many of these carbs.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I ran a mid/late 80's 460 4 barrel Holley on my old highschool ride yaers ago. It was rated at a 720-730 cfm if I recall correctly and had the full boat of emmission hook-ups.
It was on a 302 and was huge for what I needed but it worked in a pinch until I found something smaller.

Keep an eye out for a bigger factory issue Holley.

Not huge on the Edelbrocks myself, especailly one on the smallish side.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Doug,
I really suck at trhis guessing game, but here's my answer: I'm guessing you'll run mid 12s. As far as TQ/HP, I'm even worse at that game, so I'll save myself the embarrassment. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts