Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guy wants to trade my 68 camaro (which is a basket case) for his fairly decent 70 Mach 1.. it needs some work too.. doesnt run right now.. the Cleveland engine is long gone.. etc.. etc etc.. but its a much better car he wants 3500 boot.. i offered 2500... if i do get it, then it's gonna be my daily... it's def not a show car.. but it is very solid for a 49 year old car.

·
Registered
360 Posts
guy wants to trade my 68 camaro (which is a basket case) for his fairly decent 70 Mach 1.. it needs some work too.. doesnt run right now.. the Cleveland engine is long gone.. etc.. etc etc.. but its a much better car he wants 3500 boot.. i offered 2500... if i do get it, then it's gonna be my daily... it's def not a show car.. but it is very solid for a 49 year old car.
Look the car over thoroughly... check for rust in floors/torque boxes, bottom of doors, rear quarters, especially the drop panel. Also have a look at the shock towers (up front) as any previous collision damage will usually result in some repair in that area.

If all that is solid, check to verify if it's a real Mach... the VIN code (base of windshield on Driver's side) will look like this: 0F05Hxxxxxx or 0T05Mxxxxxx where the "05" designates a Mach 1 model, "F" or "T" are assembly plant codes, and "H", "M" are the 351 codes (if lucky, could be a "Q", "R" for 428 codes). The main indicator is the "05" for the 3rd & 4th digits.

If all looks decent, e.g. light rust, straight panels, no collision work evident AND a real Mach, then it may be a good deal. My $0.02, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look the car over thoroughly... check for rust in floors/torque boxes, bottom of doors, rear quarters, especially the drop panel. Also have a look at the shock towers (up front) as any previous collision damage will usually result in some repair in that area.

If all that is solid, check to verify if it's a real Mach... the VIN code (base of windshield on Driver's side) will look like this: 0F05Hxxxxxx or 0T05Mxxxxxx where the "05" designates a Mach 1 model, "F" or "T" are assembly plant codes, and "H", "M" are the 351 codes (if lucky, could be a "Q", "R" for 428 codes). The main indicator is the "05" for the 3rd & 4th digits.

If all looks decent, e.g. light rust, straight panels, no collision work evident AND a real Mach, then it may be a good deal. My $0.02, your mileage may vary...
it is a real mach 1 i do have the marti report for the car.. and the car is soild.. very solid.. the cleveland motor is long gone. i do have one spare in the shop tho. it has a running 302 in it now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I’d do it in a heartbeat. My old man had a 69 and 70 Mach 1s both with 351c in them. My favorite mustangs ever. If you get tired of it I will take a road trip and take it off your hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The '69-'70 cars are, IMO, the best looking body styles ('69 specifically). Next being the '85-'86 cars and last being the '05-'09 cars.

If the Mach 1 is worth (to you) what you have in the Camaro plus the cash you offer, it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good trade for you IMHO. Check your prices on the Machs!

I had a '69 Mach 1 R code 428CJ 4-speed, the works. I sold it for twice as much as I paid for it and thought I was doing good at the time.

Yes it needed restored, but it was all there! Today in restored condition, I found one exactly like it for $100K!

The only car better IMHO is the '70.

DO IT!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the camaros are so hot price wise right now.. .but everyone wants one already fixed up or a shell.. and i do bleed ford blue.. i love my mustangs but i do have a sweet spot for the first gen camaros too.. lol

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
My brother bought and restored a '69 428SCJ Drag-Pak car in '90-'91. In about '93 he sold it for like $22K. My Dad said no way will it bring that much. It did. And the prices have only gone up since then. At one point comparable cars were bringing close to $150K. I think they have slid back down a little, but still big money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are a TON of variables when it comes to car values.

Original, built, factory Drag Pak cars are quite rare, which I had no idea was the case. Mine was not a Drag Pak car, but was an original R-code 428CJ.

Wish I could have it back. If I buy another, I do believe I will buy a '70. I especially love the taillight panel much better, as well as the lower rocker moldings

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well he's gonna come eyeball the car a little more.. and i am leaving him the cash in the shop (i will be on vacation) so if he wants to do it, then it will be on him. if not.. im gonna use the cash and put back in the 'maro to get it in tip top shape. then i'll go hunt down all the mustang guys and show them my break lights... hahaha.. just kidding!!! sorta... :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
2-3 years ago I sold a ’69 Sportback (not a Mach 1) shell that was in excellent condition for $9,500. Sold on Craigs List in a few minutes. About the same time sold a ’70 Mach 1 shell (351c 2-bbl car) to a friend for $5,500. I’m sure I could have sold it for $9,000 +/- but this was a friend deal.
’68 Camaro’s are definitely 2nd tier to the ’69’s and ’67’s are 3rd tier. ’69’s command a big difference in price over the other 1st gen’s. And what’s hot on Camaro’s (even Mustang fastbacks) is modified. Turbo LS, that kind of stuff sells at auction for $100-$150K while a nice (#2 condition) ’69 Z-28 (real one) is now a $45,000-$55,000 car. Occasionally a #1 will top $100K but that’s not common anymore. Pretty much the same story on ’70 Boss 302’s.
Parts are available for either car so my advise, since both are projects, is get the Mustang project over a Camaro project.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts