Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I really need to get some 275's under there at least but Im thinking about getting a set of 245/40/17 RE-01R's and running them on a 17x8 wheel as a hold over for a while. I've got a new baby on the way so I'm thinking these aren't too expensive and could be a good compromise vs springing for a set of wider wheels and R comps. I'm currently on 245/45/17 Sumitomo HTRZ's. Just looking for feedback guys. It is ok to run these full tread for autox and maybe a lapping day or so?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Dunlop Direzza Z1's are a little better and they come in 255's.

But they are $74 more per tire now that the RE-01R's are on blowout.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Dude...at $73, buy some and keep them for future use...I just did :rofl:

They're a nice tire, a very good tire. At $73, they're a great tire. The Direzza's are noticeably better, but damn...$73 for the RE01R's? That's BMW performance at Taurus price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If they are still available, I'd get them while they last. I've been hearing that they have been running out of sizes, certain ones within a day. I know the past couple of years they have been one of the popular tires in the street tire autocross classes. They have the lowest treadwear legal for a SCCA street tire. I was actually able to get my hands on a set of 225/50R16s. Showed up on my back porch yesterday, going on the car tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled the trigger. I'm sure I will hear it for going with such a small tire but its a good deal on a good tire and I get to keep some money in my pocket for another year or so.

I will probably only run these on autox days and some lapping days. Anything I should know. I ASSume that I can run them full tread and not worry about damaging them although I do see some people shaving them.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
Track performance comparable to a Kumho MX, but won't howl like a rookie Thai "masseuse" like the MX's do. I'd put the RE01R around the 85th percentile of summer/performance street tires on the track, with the only ones better being somewhat more expensive to way more expensive. On the street, they're quiet, comfortable and pretty good in the rain.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I'm back to driving my mustang as a DD now. I just put a set of sumitomos on so those will be my communting tires. For events I will run the RE01's. If I would have know a few months ago I would have just bought these instead. I'm guessing heat cycling isn't an issue due to the fact that they are street tires. I'm looking forward to it. I've been able to catch faster cars with wider and stickier tires on the sumis, maybe this will help get over the hump. Either way I don't expect to set FTD or anything.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
They are listed as "2005 Production" - I wonder how well they age in storage. I though tires were basically dead after 5 years just due to the rubber aging.
Not true, but because tires exposed to sunlight and elements can age, and because there are about 45,000 lawyers salivating at the thought of dragging the tire industry through another lawsuit and recall, a date-code standard was set up. Take proper care of them and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I am fine with the age of the tire.

$78 bux for what is regularly $182.

728-312=:)

You can get two sets for less than the original price of one.. That's my kind of deal. Wonder where I can put the second set to hide it from the wife, er... I mean UV damage ;)

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
LMAO ^^^^

i'll get those wheels out for you Monday, just call me when you get off work monday. I can throw them in my dads truck and bring them over if you want... atleast look at em and see what you think

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LMAO ^^^^

i'll get those wheels out for you Monday, just call me when you get off work monday. I can throw them in my dads truck and bring them over if you want... atleast look at em and see what you think
Sounds good to me. It'll be nice to get a little more grip than I have now. Ill still be slow.
;)

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now I am trying to figure out if I need to have them shaved. At 10/32 I'm concerned that the tires will be all used up by the time they get worn down.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would guess you would want to shave them, if they are to be used for track or autocross use exclusively. They'll last longer and work better. I've never owned any RE-01R's, but I have driven on them, both shaved and as molded, and the shaved tires are much better. Also, based on talking to people who have run them, they'll last longer, shaved.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I missed the boat on having Tire Rack shave them. They shipped within a few hours of ordering. I may try to see if there are any local shops that can shave them. If not, I'll end up running them full tread I suppose. If I get them shaved I'll probably stick to 6/32.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts