Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I busted the nose off the crank on my supercharged LX yesterday. I'm thinking about maybe picking up a stock motor and throwing a cheap turbo kit on it.
I've read lots of stuff about On3, good and bad, and it seems once you replace a few parts in the kit they are reliable and capable of big power.

Does anyone have any feedback on the latest kits ? I understand they fixed some of the issues people were having.

Would like to hear from people who have bought a kit recently. Are you satisfied and would you buy it again if you could change your mind ?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I bought a kit in May..has been on the car since then..I bought there fuel pump,340 lph,there injectors,Y-pipe,The base turbo that comes with the kit...I love it the car is my daily...Makes awesome power!!!! Kit fit well...no problems so far...

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a kit in May..has been on the car since then..I bought there fuel pump,340 lph,there injectors,Y-pipe,The base turbo that comes with the kit...I love it the car is my daily...Makes awesome power!!!! Kit fit well...no problems so far...
That's good to hear. Did you get the car tuned ? What kind of MAF setup are you using ? I'm not familiar with blow through setups ?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
That's good to hear. Did you get the car tuned ? What kind of MAF setup are you using ? I'm not familiar with blow through setups ?
Yes i did the car was tuned with a Moates QH made close to 500 rwhp thru an AOD...I didnt use the On3 MAF sensor the shop that installed my kit,did a few kits said they didnt like it So they used a Pro-M maf meter..car idles perfect and WOT its tuned to run 11.1 to 11.2 AFR...Not that i can get it WOT on the street tho...lol...I need a cage to run it at the track its a convertible..Next on the list..

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
I had a couple of the gasket issues. That's it. Besides That the kit is great! I made 512 through a AOD. No meth. Been kicked off the track already :D

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Registered
1,977 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Im in a similar boat. thinking turbo and 351 makes sense since I need a shortblock anyway.(be buying headers anyway)

on the otherhand what does that spiral into? lol

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Go to the junk yard and get a explorer long block. Throw some good headgaskets (maybe studs) on it and a On3 turbo and let her eat! I went from a s-trim and stage 2 cams to a 70mm turbo and stock style cams. Ill never own another blower again!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
So its better to have a stock cam with a turbo?
Go to the junk yard and get a explorer long block. Throw some good headgaskets (maybe studs) on it and a On3 turbo and let her eat! I went from a s-trim and stage 2 cams to a 70mm turbo and stock style cams. Ill never own another blower again!!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
So its better to have a stock cam with a turbo?
Not better..just you can make enough HP with the stock cam to split these blocks in 2 why bother with a cam...Plus it keeps the car very drivable and sounds stock until you hit the Go pedal...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I have an On3 kit on my car and I HIGHLY recommend that you go with B&G instead. I really wish I would have.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Have you looked at 351 option? If I was getting a new motor I'd look for a basic 351 put the on3 kit on it and you won't have to worry like everyone else at 500 hp. If these blocks didn't suck we'd be in real good shape, cheap!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have an On3 kit on my car and I HIGHLY recommend that you go with B&G instead. I really wish I would have.
please explain...? I am soooo stuck at this point.. i have a complete S-trim sitting in my garage. BUT i had a Cartech 64mm setup on my 95 and i honestly cant decide WTH to do!!

Throw the S-Trim on?? purchase the on3 kit?? now, you are saying go with BG?

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
please explain...? I am soooo stuck at this point.. i have a complete S-trim sitting in my garage. BUT i had a Cartech 64mm setup on my 95 and i honestly cant decide WTH to do!!

Throw the S-Trim on?? purchase the on3 kit?? now, you are saying go with BG?

The header flanges were warped out of the box. The v-bands wouldn't seal. After a few thousand miles a piece of welding slag broke loose from the header and went through the turbo, locking it up. And the passenger size header cracked near the turbo flange. Once I welded it back up it blew a 3/4" hole in the header about 500 miles later.

I will never buy anything On3 related again.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Sorry to hear that..My kit seems fine...and a friend of mine has had his on for over a yr now No problems either...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I have a stock long block with stock cam for sale. only 60k good condition. Took out from my 91 GT convertible. No intake or dizzy $300 only.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts