Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First I'm a newbe when it comes to automatics

Ive got a 91 hatch with a 3:73 rear gear in it. That I will drive on the street and maybe take to the strip once a month/every two months. It has a 306 built motor internally balanced/heads/cam/intake manifold/ compression is 8.5:1/ 70mm turbo. My Goal for the car is to run high/mid 11's. I dunno if it is realistic but if I could in to the 10's that would be sweett!. AODE is not a option just bc of them being so prices, plus I can swap a c4 with a guy in my area with my tranny.

I have a 3550/tko 500 now. I'm thinking of going to a c4 but I'm worried about highway speeds. I run a 275/40/17 which is a 26 X 11.50R17 by what mickey thompson's website saids.

My questions are:

1) What Stall convetor do I need (rpm wise)

2) Would swaping out to a 3:27 gear help me any? I would need to able to drive on the highway without spinning the motor to death. I've always seen cars that run autos run a lower gear, but they were N/A

3) The transmission crossmember, does it need to be modified? if so how

and if there anything else ya can think up, please by all means post up! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
First I'm a newbe when it comes to automatics

Ive got a 91 hatch with a 3:73 rear gear in it. That I will drive on the street and maybe take to the strip once a month/every two months. It has a 306 built motor internally balanced/heads/cam/intake manifold/ compression is 8.5:1/ 70mm turbo. My Goal for the car is to run high/mid 11's. I dunno if it is realistic but if I could in to the 10's that would be sweett!. AODE is not a option just bc of them being so prices, plus I can swap a c4 with a guy in my area with my tranny.

I have a 3550/tko 500 now. I'm thinking of going to a c4 but I'm worried about highway speeds. I run a 275/40/17 which is a 26 X 11.50R17 by what mickey thompson's website saids.

My questions are:

1) What Stall convetor do I need (rpm wise)

2) Would swaping out to a 3:27 gear help me any? I would need to able to drive on the highway without spinning the motor to death. I've always seen cars that run autos run a lower gear, but they were N/A

3) The transmission crossmember, does it need to be modified? if so how

and if there anything else ya can think up, please by all means post up! Thanks!

1) talk to a convertor company and give them all the details of your combo. IE weight hp tq all motor info turbo etc etc. For a street car i always liked a 10" 3500 ish convertor.

2) most turbo guys i know run a 3.27

3) shouldnt have to change your crossmember or modify it.

With driving it on the street most of the time i would go with a little tighter convertor, it might hurt you at the track but if your only going once every month or 2, you'll be fine imo

·
Registered
630 Posts
Turbo converters are picky.. I'd call someone to get one custom cut for you.

As far as gear, yes 3.27's would be great, but that also depnesd how tall you tire is. Run one of those gear calcs and see what would be best for you.. For me a 28" tire and 3.27 gives me 140mph and is perfect cuz I'll only be turning 5500rpm.

I should be done with my C4 install this weekend and I'll post up how it drives compared to my TKO, I'm excited!

·
Banned
199 Posts
2800-3000 rpm converter, keep the 3.27 and top end mph will vary depending on rev limiter and or tune. sounds like a good combo. the cross member will need to be slightly modified, just add a plate drilled for off set of the tranny mount and the cross member itself. easy. certain long tubes can have fitment issues with the trannt depends on what you have. Mine are bbk 1 5/8s work fine.

·
Registered
413 Posts
3.27s good idea as the turbo runs off of load and it will load the motor more. Also I would not anything less than a turbo specific converter. I hear of people all the time blowing through them. The turbo needs a larger and tighter converter. I have heard nothing but good about Lenny at Ultimate Converter Concepts.
Luke

1 - 8 of 8 Posts