Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would probably find a good local core and have a shop go through it as I am not versed in the guts of an auto. When looking for a good buildable core is there anything I should look for beyond a small block bell housing? Should I be looking for a trans with a certain servo? What about different valve bodies? Are some better than others for building and using shift kits?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Just have PA build one with a lifetime waranty. Spend the $ once and be done.
Tim

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
He is local and would not have shipping costs.

It only cost me $90 to ship mine out and had a buddy bring it back.

Tim

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
To pa in MD. I can drive it to them both ways for $150
Tim

·
Registered
413 Posts
i made the mistake of having one rebuilt and it wasent right the first time and there still fixing it. neibors is still gone at a diff shop too.. i would go with the PA if i did it over.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
When building a C4 you need the 'H' servo piston. The best thing to do is buy one new with the thicker cover. Also, get a full manual valve body. Forget trying to install a shift kit in a stock one. You will be very lucky if it works right. I would also get the direct drum that holds at least 5 friction discs.

If you have over 500 horsepower or a heavy car then the 6 pinion planetary isn't a bad idea.

I bought most of the parts from PA and built my own. It has worked perfect for me over the past several years. No complaints.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Get a 1970+ model, dipstick in case. Most of the cars from the 70's had them, the belhousings are removeable so it's no big deal to swap them. Get the small pattern one (157T) if you have long tubes (more room). If your running shorties then either the small or large bell (164T) will work. Make sure you get the correct flexplate. If your engine is a stock HO they have a 50oz imbalance. Ford never made a 157T 50oz imbalance so be carefull!! I got mine through summit, $80 I think.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts