Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently switching from a mechanical to electric water pump to help cool down temps between passes and stay more consistent. I use it very seldom on the street and was wondering if I should pull the thermostat all together, install a high flow unit or just leave the stock one in? What are the benefits of each?

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
No T-stat. With an electric pump flow is constant regardless of engine speed. My data logs show zero temp rise in the water during a run. There simply is not enough time for the temp to rise. On the return road back to the pits the temp will start to creep up and pretty much stabilizes by the time I am back to my pit. Your results may very depending on what the water temp is before you make your run. I try to have the water temp at 160* when staging the car. I run E-85 and it takes longer to build heat in the engine compared to C-16. I rarely see temps over 185* on a hot day.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you want the water temp to be 160 when you stage why not run a thermostat? A good quality high flow thermostat will allow the engine to come up to temperature much faster and have no ill effects.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
If you want the water temp to be 160 when you stage why not run a thermostat? A good quality high flow thermostat will allow the engine to come up to temperature much faster and have no ill effects.
Or I can let the engine run without the water pump on or fan on. Or I know that after starting my car and driving down to the staging area, then doing my burnout and staging that the engine will be at 160*. If I had a t-stat it would be harder to cool the engine off between runs because the t-stat would close and prevent water circulation which would prevent further cooling of the engine.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m gonna pull mine. I’ve got o-rings above and below it, with a shouldered water neck, I guess the neck will retain them, so I’ll stuff everything back in minus the t-stat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts