Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.....so I've bought multiple kits from On3Performance, but as of yesterday I am done with them.....and here's why.

1) Over the last year I've seen Chad's customer service drop from good to complete garbage.

2) NONE of the flanges on my kit were straight. Not even close. The headers would rock back and forth on a table if you layed them face down. Permatex does not annually produce the amount of copper silicone that would have been required to make them seal. No biggie, it's a cheap kit, so I'm not really mad. I milled the headers flat as well as the v-band flanges.

3) The bolt holes in the headers suck. Had to drill the headers out a bigger size for the bolts to fit. Not a huge deal, but still it's annoying.

4) The v-bands on the cross-over pipe still leaked. No biggie, I'll just put some copper silicone on them.......they still leak. I tried making a gasket for them......they still leak. I tried welding the bastards together......that worked.

5) I'm at the track 3 weeks ago and on the 2nd pass the car won't make boost. By this time the kit has been on a month or two and has about 1000 miles no it. I pull back around and the turbo is locked up. So I pull the turbo off, and find this wedged in the exhaust wheel.

Wow....check that out....a giant hunk of metal from the hot side...sweet

6) So I throw a new turbo back on the car and I'm back in business. I make about 6 passes at the track last weekend and drive it about 80 miles this week. So yesterday, after driving to a buddy's house, I notice I have a huge ass exhaust leak. I pop the hood to find this. The merge where the passenger's side header and the crossover pipe meet has cracked wide open.......that's about as cool as air borne AIDS.

I have a big race on the 16th to go to, so I welded the header back together as best I could and it only leaks a little now. On the 17th, I'm taking this kit off with a sawzal and ordering a B&G kit.

So to summarize. On3...I hate your kit, I hate its guts, and I hope that all the bad things in life happen to you and you alone!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Numbers 2,3,4 & 6 I had the same issues with...as well as the old crossover pipe flex joint failing...just too much hassle for me as well....at least now I have the headers fixed to where they are still in use...the rest of my kit has been modified/replaced the DIY way.

the crossover pipes on mine leaked cause of my aftermarket radiator being thick enough to just barely interfere with the fitment of the pipes on the driver side...I had to redo with 3bolt flanges

no wexcuse me while I go home and put some water in Buck Nasty's Mama's Dish.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Im so glad i never went with there kit.. i dont see how corral always them to sell there junk on here anymore..

Our cars are not easy to work on and to always be taken off there #### to fix would just be plain annoying..

On a side not my b&g hot side is holding up great :D no leaks everything seals and fits perfect, and i didnt have to weld anything

·
Registered
994 Posts
Our cars are not easy to work on and to always be taken off there #### to fix would just be plain annoying..
I'll have to disagree with you there. These cars are a piece of cake to work on for the most part. That's always been a major part of their popularity. Especially easy to work on in comparison to a late model F-body GM.

No issues as of yet with my On3 kit, BTW.

·
4,309 Posts
I'll have to disagree with you there. These cars are a piece of cake to work on for the most part. That's always been a major part of their popularity. Especially easy to work on in comparison to a late model F-body GM.
I agree. These cars are tons easier to work on than most other options I have been exposed too.

Sent from my iPad Nano

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would gladly work on a Turbo mustang over the ford 7.3 and 6.0 diesel trucks I have had to repair.

Carry on with the on3 abuse. Just remember you get what you pay for.

Pay me now, or pay me later with interest...

·
Registered
317 Posts
im sorry man that sucks. had my kit 2 years without a single problem. i was also scared for the price,but back then there werent as many bad reviews.

·
Registered
461 Posts
As 4jenna would say, "and people will still buy on3 kits" or something along those lines lol.

If I owned a 87-92 sbf fox I would start making kits for these cars and charge $1200 for complete hot side shipped, you peice the rest.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
#### I was hoping to see this car run on the 16th! I have been on this site since 2005 and have seen a many turbo kit guys come and go and everytime someone starts making kits everyone jumps on them, and then all hell breaks loose. Never fails. Guess I was one of the lucky few to go through this and still have a decent kit.

Id send this trash back!

·
Registered
159 Posts

No issues as of yet with my On3 kit, BTW.
You must have never worked on a honda ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I always read the negative threads about on3 but I have yet to have one problem with my kit. My hotside went on like it came from ford racing. Zero problems. When I bought this kit, it was just to get my foot into the turbo world, and I expected all sorts of problems.

Just a few days ago we had to take a 10lb sledge to my friends strut tower to clear his BG down pipe. iMO Their is plenty on3 , B&G etc, turbo cars driving around with no problems. Sometimes you just get a bad apple.

For the price of the kit you should already expect the worst when opening the box.

:salute:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nope, and never will. The only Honda's I'd ever own have only two wheels.
Well let me tell you there ALOT easyer to work on then a mustang.. (althought im gettin good and working on mine after tearing it down so much)

Ive owned plenty of them and some faster then my mustang.. I guess i can appreciate anything that is fast

1 - 20 of 52 Posts