Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first setup:
Stock motor (all stock.. Intake, Heads, Cam, and HG)
Stock Exhaust (unbolted for the dyno numbers.. +25hp)
Never been touched. 90,000mi
405hp / 508tq 10lbs
Lasted 2 days of fairly hard driving before it spit out a HG. I believe we lifted the heads at least once on the dyno playing around when it hit 12# and 15#.

2nd and current setup:
Built stock block (o-ringed 306 w/heads, cam, intake)
full exhaust
Currently has about 200 miles on 8lbs (435hp / 460tq) I will turn it up at 500mi and then at 1,500mi

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
290 Posts
2000..89GT S-Trim 14psi......head gaskets 3 times before I was dumbed up enough to realize I needed studs.

2002....twin turbo junkyard build on an 88 T-Top car......home ported heads Explorer intake, holley systemmax cam.....studded this one...but damn near broke the block in half thru the valley....lol

That was my last fox....I would not build another with a stock block.

Building me a mod motor car now...the stock block is supposed to be good for a bit more, and the way the heads seal is much better...BUT, I am on the lookout in the local junkyards for a WAP or Teskid alum block

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Stock Jasper Reman 5.0
MegaSquirt 1 V3
255lph pump / 50lb inj
Had 45k when I put the kit on.
(BG Turbo kit)
9lbs

Went good for a month or two of mild driving.
Decided to take it a bit further to a local meet, maybe 15 miles away from home. Was watching a friend race and decided to catch up a bit, they were pulling away. Like a dumbass I nail it in overdrive. With moments I killed both 3rd and overdrive.

I ended up driving home doing 2nd gear pulls all the way. Car started to heat up but didn't pay mind. The crossover melted through my lower radiator hose...I later found out it claimed my headgaskets.

Tore the bitch apart. Bought some ARP Head Bolts, some 15 dollar Fel-Pro Headgaskets from Autozone and put it back together.

Been back on the road since, about 2 months now. Still have only two gears though! (1st and 2nd) I drive this bitch everywhere.

Since then I added a Taurus fan, Taylor Wires, and a 3g Alt which gave me problems. Apparently, the oil feed line was a bit TOO close to the positive stud on the back. Long story short, it grounded and quickly killed the braided hose. Next thing I knew my car was on fire. The fire claimed my two week old plug wires and fresh 3g alt, as well as some other various things. I've been parked for about a 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
stock motor t/b to oil pan with ARP head bolts and 120k on it when I put the turbo on.

Stock replacement clutch lasted about a week and a half before it gave up. Replaced it FREE under warranty.lol

at about 140k and a year later I decided to add some ported stock heads. bought them used didnt have them milled like a dumbass and put them on. to top off that dumbass mistake I went to the track and missed 3rd gear got pissed and slamed it into gear.. too bad it was frist and not 3rd.. she reved to the moon and poped both HGs. Got the heads milled and put back on and have about another 5k for mileage on them.

It does smoke the blues. The new valve seals on the ported heads helped a bunch but with 145k and 2 yrs of 10-12 psi on the clock Im sure its rings lol

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Stock engine from TB to pan with ARP head studs running a TTI street kit with 60-HiFi. So far it has been running 14 years and has gone 118 in the 1/4.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Head gaskets dont blow from boost.

They blow cause the factory ones are weak to begin with
and any little detonation blows them out.

Cometic MLS metal head gaskets are the only way to go
with boost. They'll take a little ping every now and then and not
blow out at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Popped the first shortblock (factory 86) within a couple weeks of the turbo install. My fault i'm sure, no tune and was weak to begin with.

Keith Kraft budget 306 now - with Cometics - has lasted the entire Summer street driving and probably 50 passes at the track. So far so good, but i'm sure she's a tickin time bomb.

Next up is 94-up 351W roller unless I find a smoking deal on the link bar lifters. I'll upgrade to a 75mm or bigger then.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
My first mock up motor did not last long with an fmu, stock gaskets, stock bolts.
Even with studs, proper fuel system and a tune, blew headgaskets at the track.
Regular driving never a peep. Now running 18 degrees timing and it is fine for a year but have not been to the track.
These are the graphite felpro gaskets. I am going HG as a fuse route.
Erich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts