Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Cover me while I rush...

MRVAX: Thanks, I'll be looking into the cams. I contemplated getting billet cams (same specs) because they do not require lash caps. But and please tell me if I am wrong, would the 3 angle valve job change the geometry... Meaning would I require some sort of shim/lash cap or something underneath the lifter? With the 3 angle valve job? Heads 101 for me.

Ron99Cobra: How could you not do this on a motor that is not free wheeling? What does this mean? Where and how much for this kit? I agreed and paid for heads completely assembled and ready to bolt on. Again not exactly how it worked out, there was an issue with the lash caps/shims. Curious about this kit....

Rigo
Semper Field Days

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Cover me while I rush...

rigcol said:
MRVAX: Thanks, I'll be looking into the cams. I contemplated getting billet cams (same specs) because they do not require lash caps. But and please tell me if I am wrong, would the 3 angle valve job change the geometry... Meaning would I require some sort of shim/lash cap or something underneath the lifter? With the 3 angle valve job? Heads 101 for me.
Rigo
Semper Field Days
Rigo: I've got to defer this question to someone with more modern experience with heads. The last time I ported and polished heads was for a 1968 Firebird and that was back in 1984! LOL. Someone here will know the answer but I suspect the 3 angle v/j will not require anything special.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have been trying to get in touch with shannan since last tuesday and have been unsuccessfull. Hopefully he will pop up sometime today.

·
Registered
243 Posts
i hope to hear from him as well today

·
Registered
693 Posts
something I'm just wondering

lash caps? Why would I need to get new lash caps from Company A, if Company D says they are not needed?? Just wondering here..

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Charles

Could you clarify your question?

Rigo

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Re: Rangers lead the way????

rigcol said:
Troy got it....right back at ya!

Dave,
2/8 Scout Snipers Platoon Commander as well as Weapons Company Executive officer. Don't get excited I was prior enlisted I've been in since 90. Somalia huh? Nothing but respect for you bro.

Rigo
platoon commander? so i guess you are an officer...sorry to hear that!:D yes, i was a part of task force ranger. if there is a hell, it's over there in east africa!

-FYI, the movie was a joke...absolutely soul-less.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Get down take cover enemy direct front!

Yes, I'm a 1stLt, picking up Capt this summer. Hey, I was prior enlisted bro. I can relate to the souless part. Movies can't capture that kind of terror.... Again, my hats off to you, must have been one hell of a fight.

Rigo

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Get down take cover enemy direct front!

rigcol said:
Yes, I'm a 1stLt, picking up Capt this summer. Hey, I was prior enlisted bro. I can relate to the souless part. Movies can't capture that kind of terror.... Again, my hats off to you, must of been one hell of a fight.

Rigo
Wow Rigo, I should have addressed you as "Sir"! Was E4, 1982- 1986. Keep watching today, more than likely SD will be back to answer all your questions. Check what you can in the meantime.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
MRVAX

I was a Corporal once myself! Had more fun then, than I do now. Yes, I've received a few PMs from him today. Apparently, the cams may not be right for this application. I'll know once I go through it again and dyno. He's offered to send me new ones with different specs if these don't work out i.e. I pull similar numbers. Still unclear as to what the Specs are on the ones I have... That would probably explain why I have shims and lash caps. Waiting on him to provide the specs to the cams I currently have and what the specs are on the replacements if these do not work.

Rigo

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Guess I shouldn't go to the races anymore. Looks like I need a press agent to handle all of this too.

Rigo,
Your cam specs are here and I will forward them to you. I seriously believe what we are dealing with are issues arising from two things.

A. You have too much duration for a normally aspirated engine with low compression.

B. I don't know about the cams since you were in such a big hurry to get them and I didn't have ample time to get everything set up first.

The cams were designed with the idea that you were going to go with a supercharger in the not-to-distant future. This would explain a loss of torque right now but would work very well in the future. The added duration will work fine under boosted conditions.

Check your PM's and we'll work this out. If necessary, I'll get you a different set of cams that will work for your N/A combo.

Novifed........I really hate it when someone refers to me answering questions as spamming. I don't try to sell anything openly on the message boards. If you've noticed, I tell anyone that is asking to simply PM me for details. And no......I'm not on Ritalin. :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
hmm, there must be some mistake.

SD,
Seeing as you are swamped maybe you confused me with someone else. I still have all of our email traffic concerning what my ultimate performance goal was (and is). As well as how we'd go about achieving this. Each and every time I stated N/A and was hoping to achieve 300RWHP.

"I don't know about the cams since you were in such a big hurry to get them and I didn't have ample time to get everything set up first."

That's not fair. Who me, in a big hurry? I live 30 miles (60 miles round trip) of base, my car being the sole means of transportation. I did without it for two and a half months.... Although, I was deployed to CAX during the first month. Ok, a month and a half of bumming rides and borrowing my company Gunny's Ford Festiva wore me down.

Question, so are the heads P&Pd for a supercharger as well? I'm happy we can work this out. As I've stated earlier I feel this will benefit the both of us and countless other Corralers (is that even a word?) I'm learning as I go. I'll keep you posted, thanks SD.

Rigo

·
Registered
188 Posts
rigcol,

Ford racing part number M-6266-D46 Camshaft Timing Tool Kit and sells for $140.00. Kit includes: dial indicator mount, solid lifter modified rocker arm.

Free wheeling means that the piston will never hit the valve. So if your timing chain breaks and a valve is open to its maximun lift the piston will not strike that valve. Mod motors are Not free wheeling. If a mod motor breaks a timing chain, the open valves will strike the pistons. Or if you mod motor timing chains are put on wrong you have a good chance that the valves will hit the piston.

It's does not matter if your heads had the cams installed already, what matters is were the timing chains installed correctly. The only way to accurately determine this is to measure the cams after the heads and timing chains are installed. This procedure will also give you the specs for the cams. And if all goes well the specs you measure should be very close to the specs you were given. You can also measure valve clearance at top dead center. All this extra work will give peace of mind when it come time to fire up the motor.

If the specs you recieved are accurate, then you have blower/nitrous cams. Those cams will not give you the best performance in a naturally aspirated combo.

Later

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ron99Cobra said:
rigcol,

Ford racing part number M-6266-D46 Camshaft Timing Tool Kit and sells for $140.00. Kit includes: dial indicator mount, solid lifter modified rocker arm.

Free wheeling means that the piston will never hit the valve. So if your timing chain breaks and a valve is open to its maximun lift the piston will not strike that valve. Mod motors are Not free wheeling. If a mod motor breaks a timing chain, the open valves will strike the pistons. Or if you mod motor timing chains are put on wrong you have a good chance that the valves will hit the piston.

It's does not matter if your heads had the cams installed already, what matters is were the timing chains installed correctly. The only way to accurately determine this is to measure the cams after the heads and timing chains are installed. This procedure will also give you the specs for the cams. And if all goes well the specs you measure should be very close to the specs you were given. You can also measure valve clearance at top dead center. All this extra work will give peace of mind when it come time to fire up the motor.

If the specs you recieved are accurate, then you have blower/nitrous cams. Those cams will not give you the best performance in a naturally aspirated combo.

Later
Or, if you install the timing chains correctly (per the service manual procedure) by lining up the timing marks, you could turn the engine over by hand to make sure there is no piston/valve contact. Save $140 in the process.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ok...

Ron99Cobra: Are you saying that these specs are for a blower/nitrous cam?
540"/218 Intake
.540"/226 Exhaust
112 degree lobe centers
That is precisely what I did not want. As stated above I wanted a cam for an N/A application. I'm not up to snuff on the #s. I am well aware that a blower/nitrous cam on an N/A car is not the way to go. Another problem, I have no idea what the numbers are for the cam I am currently running. Read SDs post. SD mistakenly sent a cam suited for a blower application.

PhatDoggy: That is precisely the technique that was used after lining up the chains.

Thanks guys, great information.

Rigo

·
Registered
243 Posts
bear with him guys, i believe he will get everything worked out.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
All current arguments aside:

540 lift / 218 int. dur. - 226 exh. dur. / 112 lobe sep. IS NOT A BLOWER CAM! That is a slightly aggressive Naturally Aspirated 2V Cam. Blower cams don't even get qualified until their actual duration numbers are in excess of ~238+, or advertised duration of ~290+.

And alot of people say Blower/Nitrous cams, grouping them in the same product category. Nitrous doesn't necessarily need/want excessive durations. An agressive NA cam, will lend itself very nicely to the use of nitrous. Can you get more gains from more duration? Some will, some won't. But it isn't the rule, its the exception.

I have heard Rigo's cams, personally, and that cam is definately carrying more than 218/226 duration in them. In fact, I would venture to guess that they carry in the ballpark of ~288-292 advertised duration. Which is why he is losing his low end.

Where is the blame for all of this. I dunno. Nor do I care. Rigo hasn't said "You suck, and your products suck!" to any person, shop, or manufacturer. The only person in this whole thread who is catchin flack, is Rigo. With everyone blamin the install, when in fact the person(s) involved, have come in to the thread and commented.

So before anyone goes and starts pointing fingers at anyone, let the parties involved work out what issues they have, on a technical basis. Then after all the information is gained, say whatever you want.

Good luck Rigo, hope everything gets worked out.
Joe

·
Registered
998 Posts
So, let me get this straight.

1. Rigcol, you ordered .540/218 and .540/226.
2. What you recieved was NOT .540/218 and .540/226?
3. Is .540/218 and .540/226 acceptable for an aggressive naturally aspirated combo?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Jahan, you are asking Rigo questions(1 & 2), that he is asking someone else to provide.

As to #3, yes I would consider those numbers as merely an aggressive NA cam. But I have been told before, that I don't know **** anyway.

joe

41 - 60 of 89 Posts