Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody,

I have just recently developed that bad bad bad rearend clunking sound, you know the one where you know ya have to be nice to Mr. Gas pedal cause if your not your gonna knock another 50 miles off that ol ring and pinon. Anyway I have never had an 8" apart. Is there any chance I can just shim this thing and possibly save my 3.73? How difficult are these to set up in comparason to an 8" (same as a 9") I am toying with the idea if I cannot save these going with 4.10's, I like that jump off the line, and well I really don't need to be going 140MPH anyway please help me, if any of you want to make me a good deal on some 4.10's I would be greatful. I have no money and can't really afford this right now, so PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thanks
Gear Head

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are you sure it's coming from the rear itself?
Could just be a bad U-joint. I've had that happen a few times.
There's something bouncing around inside my gas tank that clunks when I go over speedbumps...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
sawbones25- That's the metal baffle that sits in the gas tank. Mine came loose too, just haven't done the gas tank swap yet. It sure does get annoying though.:mad:

Frank

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had this annoyig cunking from my rear, it turned out to be because i didn't have the isolators on my springs in the rear. just something to check

ANd my baffle is loose too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should be more spacific as to what I am hearing. I can hear the ring and pinion clunking on decel, not over bumps or anything, even a little when I accelerate. This is deffinatly comming from my rearend, even at about 65-75 I get a nast vibration, it really gets bad if I let off the gas. So I am sure this is comming from my rearend. Sorry to be so general in my origonal post.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
When I installed my 3.73's I had to have my stock driveshaft balanced. That sucker turns A LOT more with those taller gears, and the stock balance is jsut not good enough...

started vibrating at 65-70mph too.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
double check the two lower shock mounts on the housing,they are common to get loose and sound like a ring and pinion noise,i would put 10 dollars on it being this.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
my bet is driveshaft.

does the vibe go away partially when you are right inbetween giving the car power and letting it coast??

makes your shifter knob vibrate?

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have this EXACT problem, only in fifth gear though, will putting my new 373s in solve this?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I got rid of almost all the rear end clunking when I installed a new clutch pack. The old one was loose enough to allow the axles to slide maybe .025" in & out. MFE has a helpful write-up on rebuilding the rear end.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wow, these posts are all over the place on helping this guy out!

What about when my car clunks when the trans is changing gears on an AOD? Any ideas? U-joints, Trans, rearend?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Many valid ideas and her is another; a worn pinion bearing. This will allow a slight movement of the pinion back and forth in the axle housing that is noticable when letting off the gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know I am new, but I would have to agree with scratch n sniff on the pinion bearing, might check the pinion nut and make sure it hasn't backed off. Hey, could someone provide me with the link that Gary L is talking about, if there is a link. I am just getting ready to rebuild the T-L and install a set of 3.27's(yeah I know, I wanted 3.55's, but the price was right on the 3.27's.)

·
Registered
911 Posts
what all is included in the "installation kit" when you buy new gears & installation kit with it? do new pinion gears come with it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
pull the cover and check the backlash,or jack it up put it in neutral and twist the driveshaft back and fourth.look for exessive play.

·
Registered
911 Posts
and if theres excessive play then whats the fix?
thanx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts