Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Satin Silver Mustang GT
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wanted to see what folks are running for a rear gear on their cars. I currently have 3.31, but will most likely be changing those out next year. I'd like to hear what type of HP your putting down and 1/4 mile times with your gears if you know your race weight that's helpful too.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
A lot of the 4.6 guys use a 3.27 to 3.55 so I say keep the 3.31's.
I use a 3.27 but no ET's yet.

ks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Same here, 3.27s, 850+ whp, running a 4R75W. Waiting to get some ETs myself. If I can ever get my shoulder healthy, I might be able to do so.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
how high you willing to spin it?

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is setup to spin to 7,500 if I wanted too, but just wanting to see what other are running with the gear currently. I haven't made it to the track yet to see my 60' and mph to see what I have left in the car.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
based on 10% converter slip (no idea where yours is with out data) 4.10's will get you to 137mph which is where id start. because if its closer to 15% its going to be 129mph.

and that converter slip number is going to change from car to car...converter to converter... transmission set up to transmission set up... rear gear to rear gear.... things as small as your transmission cooler lines and the cooler you use will make this number change then on top of all of the stuff they can do in the transmission. this is a very very hard question to answer.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Why not run it as is then? A brake changes the dynamics of loading, your converter, current gearing, and weight may actually work.

I'm actually eager to hear your 60' and 660 & 1/4

Once you see your 60' and final e.t. / trap diagnosing gear and or converter is less difficult.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
BUT.... as a less general answer, without knowing you power curve and how you spool up now; I'd say that your 8.2:1 overall first might be improved on.

Naturally aspirated, I really like 3.73's for all purpose use, 4.10-4:30 for mostly strip and occasionally Saturday night, and 4.56+ for the most serious strip terrorizer.

Turbo cars that spool quick often like a little less gear, unless you have more tire.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BUT.... as a less general answer, without knowing you power curve and how you spool up now; I'd say that your 8.2:1 overall first might be improved on.

Naturally aspirated, I really like 3.73's for all purpose use, 4.10-4:30 for mostly strip and occasionally Saturday night, and 4.56+ for the most serious strip terrorizer.

Turbo cars that spool quick often like a little less gear, unless you have more tire.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing how it runs at the track and then once I'll dial it in...see where it lands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts