Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of swapping a th400 behind a 357. I have all the mechanical aspects covered. Do I need to know about any electrical modifications that might be required as the ecu previously was controlling the aode

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
is it a full manual TH400?

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
should be fine then...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
whos adapter kit did you use ? I am thinking about the same upgrade.
we didnt use any adapters... we used a ATI bell housing with a ford pattern for a 400

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
when was the last time you saw a C6 behind a 4K+ hp outlaw 10.5 car?

·
Registered
599 Posts
I’ve seen a few guys run the TH400 style trans behind a ford and it works well. It’s like saying I have a power glide in my car but it has almost zero Chevy parts in it at all. Some of the purists hate the idea but a C6 is a heavy monster and their isn’t half the aftermarket support out there as there are for a 400 or a glide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Some of the purists hate the idea but a C6 is a heavy monster and their isn’t half the aftermarket support out there as there are for a 400 or a glide.
C6 weight = about 140 lbs.
AOD weight = about 150 lbs.
4R70W weight = about 145 lbs.
TH400 weight = about 140 lb.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Some of the purists hate the idea but a C6 is a heavy monster and their isn’t half the aftermarket support out there as there are for a 400 or a glide.
C6 weight = about 140 lbs.
AOD weight = about 150 lbs.
4R70W weight = about 145 lbs.
TH400 weight = about 140 lb.
Another internet myth busted by facts.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Busted. Lol. Well that’s good to know. I in fact looked it up and the C6 robs more power I guess due to a Heavier rotating assembly. I was wrong, sorry guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts

Busted. Lol. Well that’s good to know. I in fact looked it up and the C6 robs more power I guess due to a Heavier rotating assembly. I was wrong, sorry guys.

Sent from my iPhone using
Tapatalk

Haha all good! I’m wrong all the time. But, that’s why this site is great. We all get to learn. I was always under the assumption that the c6 wasn’t a good option. But now I’m going to a c6 next. I’d much rather prefer to stay Ford than contaminate my car. Hehe

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
A year or so back I was looking a the history of the C6. That's when I learned it weighed basically the same as the AOD and it is almost the same physical size. The C6 is damn near indestructible, but like many Ford autos has a few things that need to be addressed to make them great. Making them rollerized is a huge step in the right direction. Bigger servo. They are simple and robust. They lived long lives behind pretty powerful FE's and 429/460's.

The TH400 gets lots of love from the aftermarket. If the C6 got as much love, it would likely equal or exceed the TH400's capabilities.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I went with a Glide based trans as there is no Ford auto that can take the elevated power levels I am at and last without constant rebuilds or breakage. I used the term Glide based because there is not one single factory part in/on or around it. Everything is a extreme duty aftermarket component based on the architecture of the Glide. There are no such parts for the Ford.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
For a serious race only car, the PG/TH400 is the least trouble way to meet all the safety specs. For a true street/strip car up into the 700-800hp range the C6 can fit the bill and live a long life with the right mods and not suck too much power while doing it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
For a serious race only car, the PG/TH400 is the least trouble way to meet all the safety specs. For a true street/strip car up into the 700-800hp range the C6 can fit the bill and live a long life with the right mods and not suck too much power while doing it.
even the power glide is becoming less and less common in serious builds as all the big builders are putting so much focus on the 2 and 3 speed 400's.

knowing what we know now about the 400s and the glides now, we would never put a glide back in a serious car. the 400's have way more gear options... way more converter control options... stuff thats just not available for the glides. sucks cuz the 400's are ignorantly larger than the glide and can be a real whore to make fit in a stock trans tunnel depending on the motor placement.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The downside to the C6 is the bell housing...it's fixed. I would imagine there may be fitment issues with you mustang guys.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts