Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-k525-432-370

Was debating which way to go with my motor and talked to TFS after a couple people suggested I buy a Top End kit (ultimately it would be alot more $$$ to piece together my own kit, bolts, gaskets, etc.)

I have a bone stock bottom end (~60K miles on rebuild, runs like a top) with stock exhaust manifolds

I already have a Holley Systemax intake sitting on my shelf.

What are peoples thoughts on this 11R kit? Compatible with the Holley Intake I already have?

Stock valve covers? Better off buying complete top end kit with intake and valve covers?

Open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Go 190 minimum if you want 11R heads. No you won’t lose low end. Yes you can run a throttle body bigger than 65mm on a 302, and it’s totally street friendly. I think 190s and 170s are also same price?

It’s a neat “kit” to take the piecing together out of it, but you still need lifters unless you’re reusing, that cam isn’t ideal, still need to measure for pushrods you’ll need and buy them. Edit: I see it includes pushrods. Usually you’d wanna measure but that’s a hot topic, to each his own.

Systemax is a great intake, use it for sure. If funds allow, get it ported.

Then don’t choke any head you use with some piddly ass small headers and exhaust.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I love my setup. Love the cam from Ed Curtis. Drove it to work and around yesterday. The cam chop at stoplights is amazing. The whole car shakes. Everyone in traffic is jealous. Light turns green, ready to go. Easily spins the tires.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Seems like a lot for no intake.. The original Systemax 2 kit complete was 2K when it 1st came out..

What would it cost to piece a similar set together separately with 190's?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I guess the advantage of the 11R 170s over the 190s is the bump in compression with stock pistons...53cc chambers will give a nice jump in compression.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Installed this on a bone stock mustang like yours.
Stock intake, stock cam, stock fuel lines , stock rails.

Had a MAF, 255 pump & 60p injectors.

Made 505 @ 14psi

About the same as your top end kit when its all said and done. Maybe a bit cheaper.

Thought about it yet?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have the 11r 190 56cc heads with a victor 5.0 intake and an F cam on a 10.2:1 331. I am very happy with the heads. The only issue I had was I needed to cut all of the guide plates and weld them so my rockers lined up properly but this isnt out of the ordinary since nobody makes 2 piece guide plates for these heads. See signature for power numbers..

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love my setup. Love the cam from Ed Curtis. Drove it to work and around yesterday. The cam chop at stoplights is amazing. The whole car shakes. Everyone in traffic is jealous. Light turns green, ready to go. Easily spins the tires.
Damn, my Trickflow stage 1 doesn’t do ####.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You can mill any head. I was just clearing up the confusion in how they arrive new.

But yeah the guy you're thinking of milled his to 51cc.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ended up buying some 170 11Rs from Ed

Asked T-Moss about porting options for the 170 vs 190. The Systemax II is good to go for the 170s but would benefit from porting for the 190s.

As i'm already working around a budget to upgrade the motor after spending three times what I expected on the body work for this project, i'll be happy with the bump over stock that the 170s will give me. :)

Heads should be here today.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ended up buying some 170 11Rs from Ed

Asked T-Moss about porting options for the 170 vs 190. The Systemax II is good to go for the 170s but would benefit from porting for the 190s.

As i'm already working around a budget to upgrade the motor after spending three times what I expected on the body work for this project, i'll be happy with the bump over stock that the 170s will give me. :)

Heads should be here today.
Don't see much posted on the 170 11R's. Be great to see some dyno and track data if/when you get it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
The problem with the kit is you may end up geting stuff you dont want like the cam.You may want a Ed Cam.sure you can sell the cam .I think on ebay you can buy a set of these heads for $845.per one.Buy a used TfS intake for $400.
Some rollor rockers.$250
Lifters gaskets $200.
Valve covers used are cheap.
Arp hardware $150.
I'm going off the top of my head on some of these $.
Best bet may be get the package and try and sell the cam .
Ed's cam your spending more because you want more of a custom tailored fit for your set up and fuel and driveing.

Once you invest the money you can always put a diffrent cam in and use these great heads and put them on a biger build it's a great investment in some ways .

A guy above mentioned a on3 kit you still have to do head studs and new gaskets on a safe tune pump fuel probably make about hi 300s to the tire and that may not be a problem free kit.A all motor kit wont have any lag and will be a street beast with instant wack in the seat.I love turbos but a 350 rwhp car on pump fuel can be a great fun street car.

Or just stop shop with Ed have him supply heads custom cam and gaskets the same thing just one stop shop and I'm sure you will be very happy That's the way I will do it this Fall.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts