Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had fun the last 48 hours.

I got my new cam from FTI at noon on thurs. I had 2 hours to work on the car. Got it in a degreed. Took my daughter to a wiggeles concert that night. Came home at 9:30 and started back at it. Had some help from buddies getting it put back together and in the car. Finished up about 4 am.

Got up at 8:30 had to go get oil and few other things. Just a few little things do do and fix a intake leak of water.

Got it running about 1:30 after getting everything working took it down the street 5 miles.

Packed up all my stuff for the track and jumped in the shower.

left at 4 for the track it was 91 degrees. Car ran well up there about 200 most of the way and on the highway 210.

Got there made a few passes started adding timing to it. Ended up running 10.38 128.63 1.41 60'

Changed the rear tires and hopped on the highway. About a mile down the road I heard something hit the bottom of the car. Didn't think much of it. Watching the gauges the water temp shoots to 220 but the laptop still says 175. pull over and probe the motor with the temp gun. 180 must be a gauge problem. Get back up to 70 and look at the lap top 250 in about 20 seconds if that. WE have a problem. shut the car off coasted up the next exit.

Called my dad and a buddie to grab the trailer and come get me. I have had enough 11:30 and 35 miles from home. While wating for them I start looking things over. The electric pump is not working. Climbe under the front fender where the relays are and the block off for the fog light is missing and the inner fender is all torn up from the tire. The relay harness for the pump is ripped out and the relay is gone. That is why the pump will not work. I pluged the WP harness into one of the fan relays. Everthing it working.

I had 2 bottles of water with me. Put that in but didn't start the car. Dad shows up with the trailer and they unlocked the hitch and left the keys at home so the ramps are locked in the holder.

At this point I decide to drive the car into town and leave it for the night.

Get to town and in stayed cool decided to try and drive it home. Sent dad to get a gallon of water in case I needed it.

Made it home never got over 187 with 1 fan.

I wonder why I do this 4 hours of sleep in 43 hours.

Got lots of work to do on the car. One of the worst looking data logs I have had and really bad air and the car still ran ok.

Tim

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
you left out the 65 year old in the red car helping you out. well at least you guys made it home.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hit something on the highway and knocked the innerfender into the tire. Not sure what happened has been like that for along time with no issues. Didn't stand the car up or anything knocking it loose at the track.

Oh yea I did have someone to keep me company waiting for the trailer. Jeff stayed out way past his bed time along side the road.

Tim

·
Registered
780 Posts
I was wondering if you made it too the track Friday. Glad to hear you made it home ok. Better to have these problems now then during drag week. As long as your driving down the highway, you shouldn't need to run a fan. I only turn mine on when I'm in traffic or stopped.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
What kind of ETs did it run in that weather with the old setup?

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It went mid .40's. And the car was leaving for it. This was so ugley on the data it is not funny. Lots of work to do in the next few.

Tim

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The girls leave tomorrow for a week. I will have lots of hours on it this week. Didn't touch it yet.
Tim

·
Registered
380 Posts
Great post,stuff like that is what separates car guys from posers.
I couldn't agree more. I've had nights like you just described and often think why do I do this to myself :rofl:

Still, running a 10.3 and making it home is impressive. It doesn't matter how long it took you to get home just that the car made it lol

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Tim I feel your pain. Its amazing what we can do when the pressure is on, In the end we ask our self "WHY DO I DO THIS? I have been mad enough to blow my car up. I have had the whole family on my car helping lol, to get a engine in 5 hours. Made it too! lol

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well got some work done today and found a few things. Have 2 lifters that have issues and have since pinks I just didn't know it. Replacment will be here on wensday.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts