Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Absolutely one of the dumbest things. Hey I have an idea, lets narrow down the possibilities of what a hacker would have to code for with respect to a user's password. OK, it has to be 10 characters. Great guess what, 95% of people will go to 10 and stop. OK, so now it has to have an upper case and a lower case. Further narrowing the possibilities. Now it has to have a number and a special character. Great, omit all possibilities where only numbers, only special characters, only alpha characters, anything fewer than 9 combinations of anything and what are we left with? What we are left with is a FORMULA. a FORMULA with which to narrow down the and make it easier than ever to write a program to guess passwords and obtain access even faster. Guess who else had this super cool idea and implemented it...that's right a freggin security/virus prevention company.....a big one too...Symantec. I tried to tell them....but no one is wrong ever and no one can make a poor decision...and no one can concede that perhaps giving out a formula is a bad idea.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Been saying the same thing for a long time.....

Also been saying for over 20 years that a computer will never replace common sense, but those college educated people still keep shoving this whole computerized/digitized/automatic crap down our throats. Great example is cars being hacked and taken over by, a person with a computer. Hence the reason I'm on the lookout for old carbureted cars or trucks as a daily driver. Yep I'm gonna have to fix 'em and I don't care at this point.

Makes me sound like one of those "preppers" but you know I'm sick and tired of electronics being forced down our throats. Electronic throttles, electronic power steering, etc. The throttles fail. My truck has one and the accelerator position sensor is shot already in less than 200,000 miles, so that occasionally I'll be driving along and it just goes back to idle speed and will not accelerate, period. Kind of dangerous. The power steering left my mother stuck in a McDonald's parking lot because it would not steer (wheel just turned but no movement out of the tires...they said that the torsion bar inside the EPS broke). This stuff NEVER happened before but I understand why it's there now, to partially remove the driver's influence on what the car is doing, and putting more emphasis on the programming to do the work, so that it can run "cleaner", or quieter, or smoother, or get better MPG. Let's make cars drive themselves so that the "driver" becomes a "rider". In doing so, when the time comes when the driver has to react to a situation, they will have no clue what to do, absolutely none.

There will be a time when all this electronic stuff, including the computer I'm typing on now (which is about 12 years old now), will cease to function. What will we do? All it takes is a good solar flare to disrupt-even disable-almost everything. Then we're back to square one for a few days/months/maybe years, and 90% of the people in this country will have absolutely NO clue, just throw the hands up and rely on someone else.

Reminds me, did you all see where some manufacturers have said that you may own your car but you don't own the software that runs it? John Deere put out a statement a while back. Because of this stuff, you can't modify it since you don't own it. It's coming for cars too if it hasn't already, which could put some hurt on aftermarket stuff that would require a tune. Especially diesels. already being implemented with diesel tractors. You (the end user) are not allowed to touch the software. But I haven't heard the "what if you do" part yet.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
it's called a "brute force" attack and there is software hackers use to attack sites and servers to gain access. Probably the same way they hacked this site in the first place.

Why not step into the 21st century and do some MFA with either an OTP or other 2ndary souce of authentication.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts