Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
I would definitely weld it or at the very least sandwich the fitting with a backing nut. Not like it's all that hard to pull the motor.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I just followed the Vortech instructions to do mine.

not like it's all that hard to pull the motor? How about: It's not that hard to punch and tap the pan? It's not hard to pull the motor (assuming he has all of the equipment vs lives in an apartment and has no garage) but it's still way more time consuming than punching/tapping the pan!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just followed the Vortech instructions to do mine.

not like it's all that hard to pull the motor? How about: It's not that hard to punch and tap the pan? It's not hard to pull the motor (assuming he has all of the equipment vs lives in an apartment and has no garage) but it's still way more time consuming than punching/tappin:)g the pan!
X2...and I have a shop...just lazy

·
Registered
546 Posts
I punched the oil pan and tapped it following the vortech instructions. Just make sure you coat the threads of the fitting with RTV before you screw it in. Mine hasnt leaked a drop either

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
IMO the chances of getting leaks without welding are really high with the stock pan. Mine leaked forever and I tried rtv, jb weld, etc. It's just not worth doing it the easy way with a punch and tap method. Oil all over the underside of your car is not fun. All you have to do is drop the k member and the pan comes right off. Get it done right in a days time and forget about it

·
Registered
546 Posts
IMO the chances of getting leaks without welding are really high with the stock pan. Mine leaked forever and I tried rtv, jb weld, etc. It's just not worth doing it the easy way with a punch and tap method. Oil all over the underside of your car is not fun. All you have to do is drop the k member and the pan comes right off. Get it done right in a days time and forget about it
You must of done something wrong then. I had the oil drained, punched the hole, tapped it. Then cleaned the hole real good with Brake clean and put RTV on the treads of the fitting before you screw it in. If it leaks then you did something completely wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts