Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To whom it may concern:

I have looked through my Haynes manual and have spent a couple hours searching the forums. I''ve found several wiring diagrams and threads with the same topic; just not sure that I've found the best answer yet.

I've added a pair of Autometer gauges and would like to wire the gauge bulbs so they dim with the factory '86 Mustang/Capri dimmer rheostat.

My questions are:
1: What color is the wire that I can tap into for rheostat dimmable power for my gauges (for an '86)? From what I have read, it looks like Light Blue with a Red stripe?
2: Would it be better to add a fuse tap off of 5A fuse "13/Instrument Illumination" in the fuse box rather than tapping into the wire between the rheostat and factory gauges?
3: What gauge wire should I use?
4: Ok to just run the Autometer gauge ground wire to a suitable chassis ground or should I ground to the O.E. gauge ground wire?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My questions are:
1: What color is the wire that I can tap into for rheostat dimmable power for my gauges (for an '86)? From what I have read, it looks like Light Blue with a Red stripe?
2: Would it be better to add a fuse tap off of 5A fuse "13/Instrument Illumination" in the fuse box rather than tapping into the wire between the rheostat and factory gauges?
3: What gauge wire should I use?
4: Ok to just run the Autometer gauge ground wire to a suitable chassis ground or should I ground to the O.E. gauge ground wire?
1: Light blue with the red stripe is correct.
2: For a few gauges I would just tap into the light blue with red wire in a convenient spot.
3: I would lean toward 16 gauge. 14 Gauge would be be overkill.
4: Any suitable chassis ground will work.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Bonus Round: Autometer sells blue bulb covers for incandescent bulbs that give the gauges a nicer look at night. I tried some blue and green LEDs, but they were too dark. Edit: Sorry 'bout the 90* spin on the image. It was correct on my phone...SMH.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,216 Posts
if you use the existing fuse protection for the bulb circuit

you must use the same wire that is there

the fuse is to protect the wire.........if you use a smaller wire, you will have a fire, if it were to short.

if you plan to use a dedicated fuse

you size the wire to the load and the fuse to the wire, that is how you do it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information Indy2000 and 90trunk.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts