Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a t5 with 2nd gear synchro popping, I was talking to an old school racer and told me that if I grind off every other tooth on the synchro I could shift the trans with no clutch, for racing only this would not be street worthy.
I ask because the t5 I have is an extra and figured what do I have to loose if it works.
Any constructive input would help.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this from experience?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Just get a tko 500 or 600 and have liberty faceplate it for you.It will be alot stronger

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
You can't shift it without the clutch doing it that way. Well, you can, but you'll tear it up in a hurry. That mod is done to make powershifting (shifting without lifting off the gas) easier.

A buddy of mine did that and it worked ok. Took a while and made a mess though. You're better off checking over the NMRA site for a used pro-shifted box.

Steve

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If its only a spare than go for it! You have more to gain from it than you have to lose!

·
Registered
874 Posts
if it is a spare, send it to liberty and have it done correctly. then start saving for a g-force or astro trans with the same mods if you like it because it wont last too long.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Never powershift a T-5 to a T-56 with out a clutch... The shock on the gear will shatter the gear... thats what Liberty gears told me when i asked them. But Your friend is partially correct... thats what people used to do with T-5 to get them to shift faster and more consistent in the earlier day before Liberty gears, Hanlon, MMR, Gforce, etc. But it is worth sending it away and getting it done... Time, $$, frustration...

·
Registered
351 Posts
I sent my stock T5 to Liberty about 2-3 years ago to be proshifted. It cost me about $600-$650. Tranny shifts like butter at the track! Just tap the clutch and pull a gear! The first season I had it I probably put 60-80 passes on it but the last two probably just 20-30 passes combined. Still shifts great and didn't cost me $1800 like the g-force.

·
Registered
317 Posts
pro shift your transmission does not make it any stronger. if you are going to upgrade your transmission as in you need it to handle more power... your taking a step backwards. pulling it into gear at higher rpms is just gunna break a stock t5 faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts