Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a bit of an oddball swap. T5 from a '94 V6 into a 93 with a 2.3, using 3.73 rear gear. Best I can tell, looks like I have to use a 7 tooth drive and 21 tooth speedo gear. Any of you who've done this have any input? Is that correct?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
All the info you should need.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Depends on the tires as well. Use the above calculator.

Previously, I ran the yellow 7-tooth drive gear, with a red 21-tooth driven gear, and 3.73's and stock diameter tires. I went to bigger tear tires and had to change to a 20-tooth drive gear.

I believe the V6 trans will have an 8-tooth drive gear, but it's relatively easy to pop the tailhousing off with the trans on a bench to replace the gear. Plenty of youtube vids showing how. I can recommend one to watch if necessary

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The transmission is apart on the bench, so now’s a great time to do the gear. Yes the original is 8t. I ordered a 7t since I ain’t got any leftover from previous projects. Already got a 21t driven gear so I’m good there.

next question. The yoke is worn out on the original dive shaft. Shaky at 75+mph even with a new bushing in the OE 4 cyl T5. Now that I’ve got this V6 trans, I’m totally rebuilding it including new extension housing bushing and seal. Does anyone have any idea if a new yoke is available? It has a vibration dampener built into it. Or...am I forced to use a non-dampener yoke?

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I believe Fox AOD cars only had the dampener. T5 cars did not.

When I swapped from AOD to t5, I went with the FR driveshaft and never had any vibration issues. Recently pulled my trans out and replaced bushing and seal for hell of it. Both looked new

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered a tailshaft bushing, already had the seal and figured I might as well replace it while it's on the bench. Old one came out as normal. New one went in ok BUT after I got it out of the press, I was looking down into the bushing and it's actually swelled into the oil channel in the extension housing. Looks like the bushing OD was too large and it wanted some place to go. Never had that happen on ANY transmission but someone at the parts store told me that 99% of the time when you order a T5 bushing, you get a GM trans bushing that doesn't fit quite right. This one came from AMP if matters. I've done them before and never had this problem, and yes I've got the tools to do it properly (removal tool to do it in the car as well as a press & a mandrel I made specifically for these on the lathe). You all ever run into that before? New bushing is also longer and has an oil hole in it where the old one didn't have no hole.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
Timken 5202 is what I’ve used. New bushing and seal. I’ve used a bunch, including one last week, without issue.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Local parts store had a 5202. They said it didn't fit but if I was willing to try, it's mine (fine..it was like $11). Fits fine. Had to hone it a little though to get the yoke to fit through, nothing out of the ordinary. That's why Tremec don't offer a bushing by itself; they'll only sell you an extension housing. The bushing is installed into the housing at the factory then it's reamed to size while the extension housing is installed on the case using a special tool. I called Tremec and they explained it to me. Interesting.

Now I just gotta find a yoke.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh and yes, 4 cyl T5 cars had the dampener too. V8 T5 did not. AOD did. A4LD different shaft. 3 different shafts. I wonder if a regular yoke from a V8 fits my 4 cyl U-joint/shaft?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A follow up.
7/21 speedometer gears are not correct, but is supposed to be according to many. Speedometer reads 4.7 mph fast at 45 actual. 5.2 at 60. The calculator I was liked at is incorrect at least for my car. Maybe mine’s weird. I’ll try another driven gear before I take the tail housing off again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts