Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 94 Cobra and I'm attempting to fix a dead 4th gear synchro.

This transmission has the pocket style taper bearing in the input shaft instead of the typical needle and thrust bearings. The bearing appears to be in good condition with no signs of wear.

However, when I put a new 4th gear synchro in there is not enough clearance for the synchro and the synchro locks up when the transmission is assembled.

I suspect the problem is related to this pocket bearing.

There is evidence that someone has been inside this transmission before me. It had silicone sealer on all the mating surfaces. So possibly an assembly problem too.

I cannot find any information on proper disassembly/assembly with this style bearing. How is proper spacing determined? Should it be shimmed?

What tools can be used to remove the bearing and the race without destroying them? There is not enough clearance to get a bearing splitter behind this bearing. Are there any pullers that can get behind the race?

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just cut it off and use a 3 or 3 jaw puller to remove the inner part. It’s just a standard roller bearing, I believe it’s National part # A1 or A2. I can look in my parts stash when I get home. You can shim the race inside of the input shaft to get proper endplay and drag on the assembly. Usually you have to cut that bearing off to get the shaft out of the case itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
You should be able to check for clearance with it sitting like you have it. Take the input shaft and set it on the taper bearing and check to see if there is enough room or if the syncro moves freely. You should be able to see if there is clearance or if the ring is against the angled face. I would assume you set preload in the same manner as you do with the standard t5 with a shim behind the race in the retainer. If its over shimmed the input can not be turned independent/smoothly of the output shaft when in neutral.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some more examination and measurements, I'm wondering if the synchro I purchased is not correct dimensions.

The thickness at the notch of the synchro I took out is 0.175 and the new one is 0.185.

Does anyone know if the T5Z / Cobra trans used different synchros?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just cut it off and use a 3 or 3 jaw puller to remove the inner part. It’s just a standard roller bearing, I believe it’s National part # A1 or A2. I can look in my parts stash when I get home. You can shim the race inside of the input shaft to get proper endplay and drag on the assembly. Usually, you have to cut that bearing off to get the shaft out of the case itself.
No problem getting the output shaft out of the case. My original intention was to replace 3rd and 4th synchros until I removed the input shaft and discovered the pocket bearing instead of the typical needle and thrust bearings.

None of the pullers I have can get under the race. If someone can point me to a puller that can get this race out that would be great. The closest thing I could find was a pilot bearing puller, but even its ears were too thick to get behind this race.

Attachments

·
Registered
930 Posts
I thought you were having trouble with the bearing itself on the main shaft. That race should just pop out. Try compressed air blowing in it. Spray inside of it with brake clean or starting fluid. The shims are behind that race if there are any. There is a slot that is made into the shaft where that race is, shoot air inside if it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
698 Posts
After some more examination and measurements, I'm wondering if the synchro I purchased is not correct dimensions.

The thickness at the notch of the synchro I took out is 0.175 and the new one is 0.185.

I have only rebuild non-Z versions. Call Paul at 5speeds.com, he can tell you.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

I have a non-Z standard T-5 synchro i can measure later on if i can remember

1 - 8 of 8 Posts