Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to rebuild my stock T5. The car is probably 75% track with about 550hp.

What is working best for people these days?

How accurate are the hp limits they advertise....has anyone broke theres being slight over on hp or towards the upper limit? Example, I'm making about 500ish....if its rated for 450 what should I expect. Keep in mind the factory T5 was only rated for like 300 and this is the first time I've ever broken in after 12 years of racing....could I expect similar results with the aftermarket guts?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make sure to keep a softish clutch...
Ya, that might have been part of my success. I used to run a king cobra. Then last year I went to a zoom stage 3. It ran fine all year last year, but that doesn't mean it didn't lead to the failure.

Athough it was 3rd gear that failed. Would a clutch that grabs really hard be more likely to break 1st gear or something during a launch?? It was in gear when it broke, I wasn't even shifting....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just broke my Brand new Libery T5 the first time I was at the track. I broke something in 3rd gear, it wouldn't shift or even come back out of gear. Liberty says they are standing behind it but its been there for 2 days and no word yet. I'm running the combo in my sig and was on a hundred shot when it broke. I don't know the power/torque numbers of the car but the trans was supposedly good for approx. 600/600. I'm no where near that! The car is mid to bottom 11's on 100 shot so go figure. I plan on going PA C4 over the winter so I'll have a brand new Liberty T5 for sale.

·
Banned
6,975 Posts
The A5 gear kit Astro Performance offers is a nice kit but you will need to use a soft hitting clutch for it to last.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Great timing for this thread since I did this at the test and tune yesterday:

I'll keep a close eye on this thread as I'm not sure which way to go either.

Everything besides the input and cluster gears is in good shape. Does somebody sell just those two parts in an upgraded version?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, the term "soft clutch" keeps popping up?

What is it and what are some good examples of them?

I'd rather not spend $1000 on a twin disc clutch...whats in the $300 price range?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
your best bet would be to get away from the t-5 all together.you never know when they are gonna go.ive gone low 11's with a stock t-5 in a heavy '94 and ive broke 2 t-5's just cruising down the highway.ive had my liberty TKO for about 6 years or so with no problems.

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Great timing for this thread since I did this at the test and tune yesterday:

I'll keep a close eye on this thread as I'm not sure which way to go either.

Everything besides the input and cluster gears is in good shape. Does somebody sell just those two parts in an upgraded version?
uh-oh...:( :hammer::hammer:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ok, the term "soft clutch" keeps popping up?

What is it and what are some good examples of them?

I'd rather not spend $1000 on a twin disc clutch...whats in the $300 price range?
A Spec Stg 3 is "NOT" a soft clutch. Broke 2 output shafts on my Tremec 3550 with it. When I had a FMS Heavy Duty I "never" broke a transmission part...

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Anyone know if the soft-loc is streetable?

I have driven my soft loc clutch on the street for years...I have no problem with it at all... Actually I have picked up alot of ET over the years, just because of the soft loc

·
Registered
965 Posts
I think a CF dual friction doesnt hit as hard but probably wont withstand those HP levels.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I prefer the A5 over the G-Force .
1) the G-Force uses a stock Z-spec 1st gear.
2) G-Force customer service leaves alot to be desired.

Liberty does not offer its own T5 upgrded gear set.

I have built several of both have not seen an A5 fail yet. Clutch is key with either.

At your power level I wouldnt hesitate recomending either in that aspect.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I purchased the Gear set myself from G-force and had liberty do the rest.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a question about the clutch set up.....

If the clutch is the key and it needs to slip a little to save the tranny.....then why did I break 3rd gear and not 1st? It seems to me that there would be less shock on 3rd gear compared to a 6000 rpm launch is in 1st gear???

To me it would seem that the car is already moving right along and the stresses on 3rd gear should be less than on 1st....how does this relate back to the clutch???

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a question about the clutch set up.....

If the clutch is the key and it needs to slip a little to save the tranny.....then why did I break 3rd gear and not 1st? It seems to me that there would be less shock on 3rd gear compared to a 6000 rpm launch is in 1st gear???

To me it would seem that the car is already moving right along and the stresses on 3rd gear should be less than on 1st....how does this relate back to the clutch???
in my uneducated opinion, the stress on 3rd gear would be greater than that on first gear, because, when you dump the clutch at 6000 rpms in first, there is more gear reduction to move the car, in 3rd gear when you're power shifting, there is less reduction therefore the stresses are put on the gear for longer.

i probably am way off base here though.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Do a TKO600....yes they don't shift as smooth, but in the long run they are more durable.

As for a clutch, the "best of both worlds" that I have found is the RAM powergrip. It's organic/kevar on one side and a serious Sintered iron on the other.
It has a soft hit, but doesn't slip....and it doesn't chatter on the street.

FWIW, I had a G-force T-5 so I've HAD BOTH!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts