Ford Mustang Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
I just checked the website, and it's actually down at the moment.

Phone number used to be (866) 253-0019.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just checked the website, and it's actually down at the moment.

Phone number used to be (866) 253-0019.
Seeing the same, hopefully just temporary.

That's the same phone number on the PayPal receipt that I have. I'll give it until the end of the week to see if there is a status change with the order.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
The new gearset t5z is a good piece. I can’t comment on the differences between McLeod and tremec units. I do have the exact unit that 408foureye is talking about. Brand new T5z gearset with billet cluster support plate, billet 3/4 keys and all steel bearing retainer. Just finished and ready. Along with 4 other T5s. I am located just west of York PA. PM me for more details

Also to further expound on Astro, from my understanding the company we know as Astro Performance Transmissions is ramping down to be closed. Been in progress for quite some time. So if you have any issues with parts from Astro I can help anyway I can as the "mother ship", if you will, is still going strong on the Astro front. Also its worth mentioning here that the A5 gearsets will no longer be available, when they are gone, they are gone (if they are not gone already).

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
That's a shame. For years I've wanted to pick up an A5 gearset and was getting to the point of being ready to order a set once I heard some feedback on the new TKX.

Guess that closes that door.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Tony at Astro has gone MIA. Number of posts on some other forums claiming unable to reach him and needing to go through credit card agency to get money back. I would hold off on buying anything of Astro's webpage unless you can get someone on the phone.
Wow, that's too bad. I talked to him a few months ago. Maybe covid ruined his business.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Wow, that's too bad. I talked to him a few months ago. Maybe covid ruined his business.
I know Tony had problems getting the parts he needed before COVID. I can’t imagine it’s helped his cause. Sucks to see

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The new gearset t5z is a good piece. I can’t comment on the differences between McLeod and tremec units. I do have the exact unit that 408foureye is talking about. Brand new T5z gearset with billet cluster support plate, billet 3/4 keys and all steel bearing retainer. Just finished and ready. Along with 4 other T5s. I am located just west of York PA. PM me for more details

Also to further expound on Astro, from my understanding the company we know as Astro Performance Transmissions is ramping down to be closed. Been in progress for quite some time. So if you have any issues with parts from Astro I can help anyway I can as the "mother ship", if you will, is still going strong on the Astro front. Also its worth mentioning here that the A5 gearsets will no longer be available, when they are gone, they are gone (if they are not gone already).
Hey, Jason. Thanks for the information and sad to hear at the same time. Tony and Astro was like a legend in this realm!

At this point, with any orders that were placed with Astro in the previous days, would you recommend taking action to get money back asap? Only $85 but I placed an order for a cluster support plate and a clutch fork via the Astro website (PayPal) and I'm guessing it won't be fulfilled?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Okay... You asked for someone with knowledge to chip in...

Tremec only makes one T5Z:
Some are tagged 1352-249 and were sold through Ford Motorsport and the rest are tagged 1352-251. They are identical other than some subtle changes through the years.
Some of the larger Elite Distributors put their name on them and thus the list of different names.
A 1352-251 is a 1352-251. They all come off the same assembly line.

While I think about it, many sellers advertise the T5Z as the 1993 COBRA T-5. The Z and the COBRA T-5 have the same upgraded parts like the front input pocket bearing and steel front retainer, but the COBRA T-5 is a 3.35 first gear T-5 with a 0.68 fifth gear and the T5Z is a 2.95 first gear T-5 with a 0.63 fifth gear. A direct replacement, but NOT THE SAME TRANSMISSION.

Price differences:
Tremec sets the Minimum Retail Price, "Retail Floor Price" for the T5Z. For 2020 the minimum price was 1,895.00. For 2021 the Retail Floor Price for the T5Z is 1,950.00. Anyone advertising the T5Z for less stands to lose their authorization to sell Tremec Transmissions. With the release of the new TKX, the TKO no longer appears on any Tremec 2021 price sheet that I have seen.

Astro Performance Warehouse:
The spiral with APW started long before COVID. While I consider myself to be a very close friend of Tony's, I find his virtual disappearance to be puzzling, Communication with him has pretty much stopped for me too...
There is another company at the SAME ADDRESS in Tavares, FL as "Astro Performance Warehouse" called "Astro Transmission Parts". This is Tony's Father's business, Glenn Sarvis. His business is still going strong. No issues. Unfortunately, "ATP" can't make good on problems with "APW". "ATP" always was the major supplier of parts for "APW" including the A-5 transmission gears. "ATP" is still making the A-5 gears and building A-5 transmissions. There are none available at the moment, but more gears are being made as I type. We will see some in a couple more months I am told. I expect that Tony will eventually turn the APW business over to Glenn but that can be difficult. I would prefer that Tony reappear and get back into the game.

500 HP T-5:
I don't care what anyone says. You can't build a T-5 that launches at 500 HP unless it has the Astro A-5 gears or the G-Force Street gears in it and probably the 9310 alloy main shaft upgrade. You won't get a transmission with either of these gear sets for the same price as a new T5Z. Be careful with expectations. There are companies that over rate transmissions just to get the sale.

Stan

Reactions: Quik5oh

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Okay... You asked for someone with knowledge to chip in...

Tremec only makes one T5Z:
Some are tagged 1352-249 and were sold through Ford Motorsport and the rest are tagged 1352-251. They are identical other than some subtle changes through the years.
Some of the larger Elite Distributors put their name on them and thus the list of different names.
A 1352-251 is a 1352-251. They all come off the same assembly line.

While I think about it, many sellers advertise the T5Z as the 1993 COBRA T-5. The Z and the COBRA T-5 have the same upgraded parts like the front input pocket bearing and steel front retainer, but the COBRA T-5 is a 3.35 first gear T-5 with a 0.68 fifth gear and the T5Z is a 2.95 first gear T-5 with a 0.63 fifth gear. A direct replacement, but NOT THE SAME TRANSMISSION.

Price differences:
Tremec sets the Minimum Retail Price, "Retail Floor Price" for the T5Z. For 2020 the minimum price was 1,895.00. For 2021 the Retail Floor Price for the T5Z is 1,950.00. Anyone advertising the T5Z for less stands to lose their authorization to sell Tremec Transmissions. With the release of the new TKX, the TKO no longer appears on any Tremec 2021 price sheet that I have seen.
Thank you, this is super helpful.

My 1352-251 T5Z arrived today and the tail shaft was hanging outside of the box and there are head size holes in just about every side of the box... guess it had a very rough ride with FedEx. Looks like FedEx repackaged it as it's not in the factory box (box is about 3x the size of a standard Tremec box wrapped in 24lb shipping paper) so it must have been through a small war at some point if the original box was completely destroyed. Not gonna even attempt to keep this one.... Anyway, called Jeg's and they already have another one on the way and have FedEx picking up the war story tranny tomorrow. From what I could see through one of the gapping holes in the box, the 1352-251 is 100% identical to a friends "M-7003-Z" 1352-249 that he recently received, except his came in the actual, undamaged Tremec box without a war story!

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Yes, the "Z" in the "M-7003-Z" number is the "Z" that causes it to be called a T5Z.

The factory box generally makes it through one UPS/FedEx ground shipping!
They throw those boxes around in handling and the bracing internally is just cardboard. Once the bracing gives way the transmission just flops around in the box. It costs more, but the best way to ship is by Freight, strapped to an open pallet! Freight carriers always use a fork lift and they don't get abused in shipping. Surprising enough, even when they arrive like yours did they are rarely damaged, but you won't know if the input shaft took a hard hit until you install it and the transmission whines all the time... Glad they are taking care of you!

Stan

21 - 30 of 30 Posts